What should I on my year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I have to wait year still I get to medical school. I was thinking about doing a one year master program. Or should I just work and volunteer? Would getting a master look good on my application. What are other options that you think will be good?

Members don't see this ad.

What should I do on my year off?

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what i'm doing...working a little bit and then spend all the money in your savings account traveling to places and doing the things you've always dreamed of doing...trust me, you won't regret it

Any more advice?

Hey. I took a year off not to improve my GPA but to spread out things so I would be a more competitive applicant. If your GPA is low, go do a masters program, so you would have a better chance of getting in. I am working as a phlebotomist full-time and am having great patient experience. I start med school Fall of 2008, so I plan to visit my home country before beginning because once school starts, you will be lucky to turn on the TV for fun. Also in this past summer, I did a research internship and got publishable results in a matter of 3 months. So, I got research experience and patient experience all in a matter of 5 months already. Even better, i got paid for doing all that. Make sure you have fun and look into things that would make you a more competitive applicant. PM me if you have specific questions. good luck

My first question is... have you been accepted, it sounds like you have. I am in the same boat with 10 month until school starts. I had been busy with work/CNA classes until Oct.1st. I'm real glad I took the CNA class, not. It is useful info but I have absolutely no desire to assist people go to the bathroom etc. So, since then I have been looking for a job and have had several interviews. Thing is, no one wants to hire a pre-med, especially if they are going to school in a year, too high of a turn over. So, carefully I have honed my skills of, not lying, but withholding the truth. My suggestion is work somewhere you want to work for the next couple months, whether be something that has to do with a hobby of yours, or medicine, or just pays well (bartender). Then, with that money you earned go blow it on travels for a month or so, or volunteer (which actually cost like 2k with plane ticket and all) down in latin america, spanish is spoken as much as english in the Em.Dept. where I live. Have enough money to survive the first week of school, get your loans, be the bank's b!tch for the next 20 years.
Something I just thought of:
Some schools offer anatomy over summer for med students. I feel that be a nice introduction to med school, especially after having a year away from school. The volumes of work in 1st year are what makes it hard. spreading that out could make a big diff, but it could also separate you from other students taking the "normal path", your choice.