What should I spend gap year number 3 doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I legitimately hate that I'm basically stuck taking a 3rd gap year. I finally registered for the August 7th mcat, which would make for a really late application for this cycle and I don't want to blow my chances. I guess i need to be somewhat productive but I'm not sure where to start.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...here-do-i-go-from-here.1069638/#post-15216752

My resume as I'm too lazy to copy over the entire thing.

I doubt I'm getting any research so what should I do other than that? I currently work at cvs and I might receive a promotion to lead technician in the next few months.

Would it be more beneficial to explore other things? Should I get a phleb certification? Medical office assistant? Both certifications wouldn't be complete until next spring. However, I'm also thinking ahead since I have 1.5 years after I'm finished with that to do it and make money. Is this a dumb idea? Are there more glaring issues I should address after I'm done with mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
do something meaningful, grow as a person, not as an application. you want to separate yourself from the pack.

I had a 3 year gap. I made money.

Reactions: 3 users
I had a 3 year gap. I made money.

Gee thanks. That's what I spent a majority of this year doing and once mcat is over I'll be doing the same.

Firstly, I'd continue the job to make money, but it looks like you're already planning that. Phleb, medical assistant, CNA would all be good things to look into if you're not interested in continuing your job for another 1.5 years, or if you're looking for something different. My classmates who were CNA's during their gap year(s) seemed to really learn a lot.

For research, maybe look into the NIH IRTA program for 2015-2016?

Side note, major props to you for your volunteering with a no-kill dog rescue. :highfive: My mom and I are involved with a bunch of rescues that pull dogs from high-kill shelters in the south and put together transports to bring them to adopters, usually in New England. We basically drive one leg (~1 hour) of a large volunteer transport chain. If you have a car, maybe look into rescue transports. It was a big talking point in interviews for me, especially with interviewers who were dog lovers. I don't know where you are in PA, but transports usually go through 81 or 95. PM me if you want to talk more about it!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely looking for something different at this point. CVS is draining lol, it's the corporate bs that has everyone on edge and the morale there sucks. I'm the best tech at my store though, and I haven't even been there a year. I found myself basically in charge of everything and I'm not sure how much a leadership promotion would help me. But I'd like to explore my options anyway. Thanks Ismet!

I'm only a pharmacy tech so the pay sucks. Which is why I'm considering a few certificate programs so I can earn some more money during my gap years. These are through the community college so they're not terribly expensive either.

Working is illegal? Damn - we should all be jobless. :D

I'm an engineer (legally)

You didn't say you worked. You said you made money.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe someone can give me a suggestion...
Would more volunteering be a good idea? Clinical or non clinical? There are a ton of options for this out there. I could volunteer at a close by hospital. There's also plenty of ways of giving back to the disadvantaged...from providing homeless/low income children essentials their parents may not be able to afford, maybe girl scout leader?

I really don't know where to really start. Or should I stop worrying about it and continue on like I was?

And in regards to employment I was only considering a certificate program as the 9.50$ an hour where I work now isn't exactly, much. I think where I go with that is completely up to me though.

For research, maybe look into the NIH IRTA program for 2015-2016?

Unfortunately the IRTA program is only applicable to those 2 or less years out of undergrad. There's the Technical IRTA, which applies to those out of school for at least 2 years, but it is a 2 year program, which would put OP out ANOTHER year after #3.