What should I study for anatomy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our professors expected us to know everything- there was no structure, grove, crevice, triangle, or curvature that was not fair game. Anatomy varies highly between schools.

Med school has made "fair game" one of my least favorite phrases.

Yeah sarcasm haha. Thanks for trying to help anyway though!

Your status says "accepted" not "current" so I figured I'd be helpful just in case! Thanks for not freaking out. Boards studying has broken my sarcasm detector (and ability for normal behavior but that's another story)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you absolutely can't follow the advice others have given you on this thread that have actually gone through anatomy, I would just bone down. By that, I mean learn the bones.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do you know a good site to learn bones? I know you recommended the essential anatomy app a while ago but I currently don't have the money to buy it haha.

I googled it but for some reason nearly all the sites they show on the front page are either too superfluous or just horrible in web layout and format.

I'm so against pre-studying. But if you were going to anyway here is my take on some high yield anatomy.

Learn cranial nerves. Where they come from on the brain stem. Where they exit the skull. Which are motor, sensory or both. Which pharyngeal pouch they come from embryologically. the muscles that are also associated with these pharyngeal pouches. Which CNs carry parasympathetic innervation with them.

That stuff was on 3/6 of our anatomy exams, every neuroanatomy exam, and in neurophysiology.

I don't know any good sources because I learned all of that stuff in med school.

Last edited:
Do you know a good site to learn bones? I know you recommended the essential anatomy app a while ago but I currently don't have the money to buy it haha.

I googled it but for some reason nearly all the sites they show on the front page are either too superfluous or just horrible in web layout and format.

I don't know of any good websites for studying bones. I did all my bone studying from the fake bones we were given, anatomy atlas, and the Essential Anatomy app.

For my school, every part of the body (except lymphatics, unless it was a part of the thoracic duct) was fair game, and embryology was thrown into the mix every other unit. I'd say cross the embryology bridge when you get there but if you can find a way to rote memorize the anatomical structures and their innervation + blood supply and remember it for when school starts then you'd be pretty happy with your results! Any ol' textbook would do, you don't have to be creative. I would suggest UMich if you had to independently test yourself too. The people in my class who had anatomy before had a bit more time to concentrate on other classes!

Reactions: 2 users