What should I use to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plconnors

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I took the DAT earlier this month and didn't do as well as I would have liked. I used the Barron's DAT book to study and thats about it. I had definitely underestimated the difficulty of the test and do not want to do that again. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what materials I should use to study. I think I remember hearing something about TopScore and DAT Achiever, but I don't really know what those are or if they are good. Any advice would be great. Thank you.
-Paul

Members don't see this ad.

plconnors said:
Hello everybody,
I took the DAT earlier this month and didn't do as well as I would have liked. I used the Barron's DAT book to study and thats about it. I had definitely underestimated the difficulty of the test and do not want to do that again. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what materials I should use to study. I think I remember hearing something about TopScore and DAT Achiever, but I don't really know what those are or if they are good. Any advice would be great. Thank you.
-Paul

besides the kaplan books they give you w/the class and those outlines for bio orgo and gchem,probably the other software thats been recommended around here and also..your textbooks from class. those help alot.

Barron's is full of typos/errors...hope you caught that. I think the best tools were the software that mimic the real test. Topscore is hard and will get you ready. It has 3 practice exams on it. I've heard DAT Achiever is good too. I took as many practice tests as I could and really focused on the weak spots. Now that you know what to expect, you should have a good idea of where to start.

From what I have read, the Barron's book is pretty good for PAT strategies. Aside from that, it is VERY basic and should not be used alone.