What should you expect from a DPT open house?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFballerinaDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are open houses like at DPT schools? I am going to be attending one in a few weeks, and was wondering what to expect. Dress professional, I would assume. Do they take you to the classrooms/ tour facilities/ meet the professors? Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I attended the Open House at Florida a year ago. It lasted from about 9:30 to 12:30. They served a little breakfast. We all introduced ourselves before the Open House began (maybe because the program coordinator was there and when I attended Open House the PTCAS cycle was open and some students were in the application process). There was an opening speech by the program coordinator, they went over the admissions process, they talked about financial aid options, they introduced a few faculty members, they discussed some clinical internship opportunities we would have there, they talked about their curriculum, the SPTA president spoke, then we had a meet and greet with some current DPT students and we were allowed to ask them questions and they gave us a tour of the Health Sciences Center and took us to a few areas in Shands. After that we went back to where they gave the presentation and we were allowed to ask the coordinator any questions.

Im sure every Open House varies but I think this is probably a pretty standard schedule.

Hope this helps and sorry if it was too wordy. :)

I attended the Open House at Florida a year ago. It lasted from about 9:30 to 12:30. They served a little breakfast. We all introduced ourselves before the Open House began (maybe because the program coordinator was there and when I attended Open House the PTCAS cycle was open and some students were in the application process). There was an opening speech by the program coordinator, they went over the admissions process, they talked about financial aid options, they introduced a few faculty members, they discussed some clinical internship opportunities we would have there, they talked about their curriculum, the SPTA president spoke, then we had a meet and greet with some current DPT students and we were allowed to ask them questions and they gave us a tour of the Health Sciences Center and took us to a few areas in Shands. After that we went back to where they gave the presentation and we were allowed to ask the coordinator any questions.

Im sure every Open House varies but I think this is probably a pretty standard schedule.

Hope this helps and sorry if it was too wordy. :)

Sounds like the open houses I went to. Other than the Shands (whatever that is), open houses are going to be the same wherever you go.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, Shands is the hospital in Gainesville. It's were the students take gross anatomy and there is a medical library that the students use to study/sleep.

Chatham's open house is very similar... everyone introduces themselves, the program coordinator speaks, there are 1st and 2nd year students there (or I guess this Saturday I may be known as a 2nd year! and the 2nd years would be 3rd!) and they go through the app process, talk about the curriculum, have the students say something about how they like it and then the students take everyone on a tour (split up into groups) around the building and that's when you can ask any questions and then we reconvene for any questions. :)