What SMPs do I have a chance at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroScot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to apply to SMP programs to boost my undergrad GPA. I graduated with a 4.0 in my major Neuro courses but the rest of my science/pre-med coursework makes me look a little bipolar. I had a lot going on during different undergrad semesters relating to health and family issues leading to a 4.0 one semester and then a 1.8 the next. Anyways I ended up with a 2.9 sgpa and 3.35 cgpa. I am currently taking biochem and pharmacology and doing well and am also retaking orgo 2 in the spring so those may improve my gpas some but obviously not much. I am taking the MCAT in Jan. I am also spending this year working as a medical assistant and doing some work in a hospital setting. Any thoughts? I know not having the MCAT score makes this a bit more difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

I do know some SMPs make cutoffs at a 3.0 GPA, but I'm not sure if thats sGPA or cGPA. Either way, they are expecting that their program is your last pit stop before medical school matriculation, so your they look at your whole resume/gpa/mcat, etc. I'm no pro, but I know there are people who can give you good answers if you give us more info

I'll start by saying post this in the post-bacc or non-trad or even re-applicant forum and you'll get some good info on this.

Anyway, this is all MCAT dependent. The SMP programs that often times have the highest linkage to MD schools have SMP classes with MCAT averages in the 30-33 range. If you can get your sGPA above 3.0 you can be competitive for a bunch of them but without an MCAT it's hard to say. SMP's are really only for people who's main problem is their GPA and who have MCAT scores along the lines of MD matriculants. You need to get that 510+ MCAT first. Keep in mind while some lower and less established SMP programs that don't have as high a proportion of their graduates go on to US MD schools might take someone with a lower MCAT, you have to be careful about whether these programs are worth even pursuing for yourself in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 2.68s/2.97c AMCAS GPA and was accepted and completed a top SMP. It really depends on the MCAT if your GPA is lackluster. Start studying!

Reactions: 1 users
As everyone has been saying, it really depends on your MCAT. I did the CERT program at VCU, which wasn't a true SMP as classes aren't taken with medical students but is still viewed very highly by many schools. I know that CERT specifically requires ≥3.2 sGPA and ≥3.0 cGPA with ≥25 MCAT (not sure what this is on the new one - 500?), but if you apply early enough to the program and have good ECs, they can accept you with stats slightly below the requirements. If you get a 3.5 GPA in the program and have an MCAT ≥505, you get a guaranteed interview with VCU SOM, which is good enough linkage for me! It also really depends on your ECs. Do you have ECs other than the ones you mentioned?

I have a 2.68s/2.97c AMCAS GPA and was accepted and completed a top SMP. It really depends on the MCAT if your GPA is lackluster. Start studying!
If you don't mind me asking, what was your MCAT score? Also, did you have extensive clinical hours/shadowing opportunities/ volunteer hours/ research on your resume? Thanks!

You need an MCAT score before you can do anything. SMP's are only a viable option if your MCAT score is good enough for MD schools(510+....the higher the better really 514+ should be the goal). If you can only get something like a 503, you are just wasting your time doing an SMP and more than that completely screwing yourself. SMP's are high risk high reward; with a low MCAT all they are is high risk with no reward because a poor MCAT score still will end up keeping you out.

The other reason the MCAT will determine your fate is because it will help you decide what route is feasible for you. Get a 513+, and then yes, with an SMP, an MD becomes realistic. But if you don't have the MCAT score for MD, then you shouldn't focus your time on MD programs. Your best bet in that case, is to re-take some poor grades, take a couple new courses, ace these and then go the DO route. 3.35/2.9 isn't all that low a place to be at for DO programs-----do those retakes get the sGPA to about 3.2 and with a 502+ MCAT score there's a fairly solid chance you can get into a DO school.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your MCAT score? Also, did you have extensive clinical hours/shadowing opportunities/ volunteer hours/ research on your resume? Thanks!
35. I actually had basically no ECs besides employment

Reactions: 1 user