What Sort of Student are You?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Essene

People don't bury nickels
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's really hard to get me to study. I'd much rather procrastinate. Like now-- I have virology reading to do but I'm doing anything else but that. I'm thinking about renting a movie from Red Box.

I wish I was like this guy

http://www.gomerblog.com/2013/11/homeless-medical-student/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm the person that always gets everything done really early. I always gotta get everything out of the way right away or it bothers me. I'm really disciplined in studying as well. In this past finals week from spring semester I studied about 18 hrs per day (woke up at 5 and studied til like midnight with breaks).

Members don't see this ad :)
More so the tenacious part.

“When he was sleeping, he was always mumbling odd things like ‘c-AMP glycoprotein’. He was just flat out odd,” another librarian claimed.

Fine line between motivated and crazy.

I'm the person that always gets everything done really early. I always gotta get everything out of the way right away or it bothers me. I'm really disciplined in studying as well. In this past finals week from spring semester I studied about 18 hrs per day (woke up at 5 and studied til like midnight with breaks).
I don't think anyone needs to study that much... I'm not disciplined so I stay at the library all day and get maybe 4 productive hours in and I'm good.

I tend to procrastinate way too much as well and end up cramming the day before a test, which is terrible and not a good way to retain information long term. I'm trying to change, but it's hard! My grades haven't suffered even though my study habits are bad, and I think that makes it even harder to get into a better routine...

I have found forcing myself to study outside of my apartment, like at the library, motivates me a lot more, though. Not as many distractions.

Everything in moderation.

Reactions: 1 users
“When he was sleeping, he was always mumbling odd things like ‘c-AMP glycoprotein’. He was just flat out odd,” another librarian claimed.

Fine line between motivated and crazy.

I want to dance that line. I'm thinking salsa. What do you think?

It's really hard to get me to study. I'd much rather procrastinate. Like now-- I have virology reading to do but I'm doing anything else but that. I'm thinking about renting a movie from Red Box.

I wish I was like this guy

http://www.gomerblog.com/2013/11/homeless-medical-student/
I think I'm almost exactly the same as you! I'm the guy who barely gets the homework turned in on time, but still manages to get an 'A' somehow. I'm the guy who does awesome on the first test, bad on the second, and then aces the final. I am really hoping to improve my study habits, but I haven't really taken any classes hard enough to force me to study frequently yet. I'm taking OChem this summer, so hopefully I'll be forced into a good study routine and be able to carry it into the regular school year!

During a normal weekday, I split my time into about 60% extracurricular activities/fun activities/hobbies, 25% people/social life, 15% school (going to classes and studying). I highly believe in studying smart and effectively rather than in huge amounts of time. With that said, I do review my class notes at the end of each day briefly and show up to classes and discussions prepared, so I don't really need to study much to begin with.

I think I'm almost exactly the same as you! I'm the guy who barely gets the homework turned in on time, but still manages to get an 'A' somehow. I'm the guy who does awesome on the first test, bad on the second, and then aces the final. I am really hoping to improve my study habits, but I haven't really taken any classes hard enough to force me to study frequently yet. I'm taking OChem this summer, so hopefully I'll be forced into a good study routine and be able to carry it into the regular school year!

Yeah I'm the same way. Orgo did that for me, but then I fell back into a sedated state with other courses.

I liked your post because you described me to the tee. Ha! I shouldn't have because it's bad form.

Maybe one day. Maybe.

I'm willing to work surprisingly hard at the beginning in order to afford myself the option of being lazy later.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm willing to work surprisingly hard at the beginning in order to afford myself the option of being lazy later.
And then when finals come around, you're like:

Flame_On!_Heated..png

I strategically procrastinate.

There are certain class that I don't do any homework (they are optional), and start cramming roughly 24 hour prior to the exam and score 95%. These are typically chem E courses.

There are other classes that I would NEVER procrastinate in. These are ALL my other classes, such as anatomy, history, and English. I attended Anatomy religiously and practically rewrote the entire textbook in shorten terms. Even then, I barely scraped by with a A.

Considering med school will probably be more like bio-styled classes - I'm utterly screwed :(

I strategically procrastinate.

There are certain class that I don't do any homework (they are optional), and start cramming roughly 24 hour prior to the exam and score 95%. These are typically chem E courses.

There are other classes that I would NEVER procrastinate in. These are ALL my other classes, such as anatomy, history, and English. I attended Anatomy religiously and practically rewrote the entire textbook in shorten terms. Even then, I barely scraped by with a A.

Considering med school will probably be more like bio-styled classes - I'm utterly screwed :(
Nah, having an anatomy background will help a ton when you do med school anatomy, which was one of the harder courses for me. Classmates who had taken a full anatomy course could basically snooze while us lowly folk spent all night in the lab haha.

I used to procrastinate then burst in college, mostly because there was less material and more fun things to do every night. I'm a boring student now that I'm in med school. I study consistent hours every day (# varies with sequence), go home, workout, cook dinner, talk to gf, friends, family, then sleep. I guess it's a healthy routine..didn't picture myself as being such a creature of habit when I graduated.