What Steps should I take to best prepare for Dental School?

DentalDude1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this so please forgive any ignorance.

Now, I'm a senior in highschool in Tennessee I plan to go straight to a four year uh never site with a great pre dental program.

My main questions are astill follows:

1. How should I arrange my schedule to ensure that I take all the required prerequisites before the DAT.

2. What should I major in? (I understand biology and chemistry are popular but I'm leaning more against a science major).

3. What's the best way to prepare for the DAT? When should I start preparing?

4.How many dental schools should I apply to? Primarily Public or Private? Shold I aim for an Ivy or will any state school do?

Thank you so much! Also any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm new to this so please forgive any ignorance.

Now, I'm a senior in highschool in Tennessee I plan to go straight to a four year uh never site with a great pre dental program.

My main questions are astill follows:

1. How should I arrange my schedule to ensure that I take all the required prerequisites before the DAT.

2. What should I major in? (I understand biology and chemistry are popular but I'm leaning more against a science major).

3. What's the best way to prepare for the DAT? When should I start preparing?

4.How many dental schools should I apply to? Primarily Public or Private? Shold I aim for an Ivy or will any state school do?

Thank you so much! Also any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. By majoring in the sciences, the curriculum will already be set so that you all pre-requisite will be met for dental school by the time you graduate your college. However, make sure that if you major in chemistry for an example, your curriculum also includes bio/physics classes and labs.

2. Definitely major in the sciences, whether it is biology or chemistry, for the reasons I described in #1.

3. Buy books and study on your own like a boss. Studying by yourself will help develop mental sharpness and focus you will need in dental school.

4. If your rich and money is like a dust on your shoulder that you simply wipe off, apply to private. If your middle/poor class and avoiding the insane amount of debt that will accumulate to about 2x the principal by the time you practice dentistry , then I would say public.