What tablet can a pharmacist use at work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trailerpark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My computer at work wont let me get onto the internet and I don't have a smart phone since I'm not ready to give up my cheap slider phone with qwerty keyboard, it has no internet function.

Amazon sells an ipad mini for 250 bucks and they also have Kindle Fire HD 7'' for 140 bucks, but the HDX version is 229. Is the added "X" worth 90 bucks...

I mainly want to be able to use a good free pharmacy ap like Micromedex, I think that one's free and it uses the same info as lexicomp which costs a lot of money. And for something like Micromedex, is the whole app downloaded onto your tablet or do you need an internet connection?

Also, I don't get how internet is free with these devices? I can just automatically connect to wifi without having to pay to use internet anywhere, especially at work at Walmart?

Members don't see this ad.

Wifi is free (well, whoever pays for the wifi connection pays for the service) if you can connect, they won't charge you for that as far as the tablet is concerned, although some places that offer wifi may charge you for a wifi pass to connect to their network. Your mobile data package depends on the company you pay for wireless use. Some may have unlimited data, others may have a cap. If you are in wifi environments you don't need it though unless you want to use the internet out and about on the tablet.

I use the Galaxy Note 2 phone and it runs on an Android operating system. I have the micromedex app on my phone and I think you can use it offline, but if there are updates it won't let you use it unless you connect to the internet and download the update. There are other apps like Epocrates that won't force you to update when there is one available though. I think any tablet that runs an operating system that supports the apps should be fine (I would stick with Android or Apple)

Also, I don't get how internet is free with these devices? I can just automatically connect to wifi without having to pay to use internet anywhere, especially at work at Walmart?

You have to be in a place with Wi-Fi in order to connect to the internet (i.e. you won't be able to connect to the internet anywhere.) Does your Wal-Mart have Wi-Fi (most Wal-Mart's don't, although I think there are a few that do) Most McDonald's have Wi-Fi, so if your Wal-Mart has a McDonald's they may have Wi-Fi (although your pharmacy would probably be too far away to actually connect to the Wi-Fi, you would have to physically run over to the McDonald's) So that should be your first priority, find out if there is Wi-Fi in your Wal-Mart (anyone with a smart phone should be able to tell you if there is any Wi-Fi there, since people with smart phones often connect to Wi-Fi in order to minimize data charges.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly recommend getting yourself a smart phone especially if you are a new pharmacist (I am). It doesn't have to be a super fancy one but having a reliable internet connection with it is a must.

Reactions: 1 users
shopping

God I guess I need a smart phone. The rest of my family is on ATT Next Plan so I have to use that. You can get a iphone 5S for like 27 bucks per month for 2 years, plus 15 per month to add the smartphone line. I'd have to pay like 50 a month instead of 10 I am now for my cheap ass phone.

You cheapskates must have another cheaper option. Well, the Next Plan with ATT does have a HTC smart phone for 8 bucks a month instead of the 5S 27 bucks.

New iphone in 2 days. Wait to get the 5S and you'll save a lot.

A tablet is overkill. A phone is very useful for looking up things like sports scores.
Make sure you have a charger or docking station. Drained my battery fast watching football scores yesterday.

You cheapskates must have another cheaper option. Well, the Next Plan with ATT does have a HTC smart phone for 8 bucks a month instead of the 5S 27 bucks.
The Android phones like that HTC, Samsung, LG, etc are way cheaper than the iPhone, and they have pretty much the same functionality.

There are apps to tether a tablet off your smartphone's data connection without having to pay any monthly add-on fees. For example, FoxFi will make a wifi hotspot from your phone, and PDANet can connect a tablet via Bluetooth or USB.

Also check if you can get an employee discount through your company, perhaps 10% off your plan.

The nexus 5 is $350 unlocked from google, and it's the best phone everr. I'd get that if you're willing to shell out $250 for a tablet.

Well I kind of thought the Amazon Fire HD 7inch for 129 seemed like a great deal. I don't want the big 9 incher because we all know how limited pharmacy counter space is.