What tasks have you done while volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raquel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have volunteered in the past and decided to do some more hours for good measure. The schools I am applying to do not require a specific amount of hours, except one that wants 40, which I have. My first set of volunteer experiences have been largely positive because they were varied and short, so I was really able to observe closely. However, the one I am doing now is ongoing and it seems the more I am there, the less involved I've been getting. I have been asked to assist other non OT therapists with non patient related tasks, including menial office chores such as cleaning.

I see that some people have 150 hours of volunteering, so I am curious to know what others have done during that time.

Members don't see this ad.

I've shadowed a lot of places. Some I just observe. Others, I retrieve patients, set them up in rooms, and change beds after they leave. When I shadowed elsewhere, I did crafts with psych patients and transported them between locked wards. I currently work one on one with rehab patients and do exercises and range of motion activities as requested by the OTs.

I've observed an OTR and a PT examine new patients. I've worked with the COTAs and got to observe them do exercises with the patients - transferring, range of motion, standing, weights. I also got to translate for the rehab dept (mostly the PTAs and COTAs since they have a more active role in rehab at that place) this past summer, so that allowed me to work more closely with the patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you're not learning much at the site you're at now, you should try to find a new site where you will be more involved with occupational therapy and dedicate your time there.

I see that some people have 150 hours of volunteering, so I am curious to know what others have done during that time.

...Basically anything to help. I am almost done completing 150 hours at a rehab hospital. During my time, I have observed in the therapy gym and in the patient's rooms. I have made tons of HEP copies and even helped make Info Cards that the therapists wear with their IDs. Transport is huge at the top and the bottom of each hour. I also help keep the room clean and disinfect the equipment.

I have other OT experiences so I don't mind cleaning up or transporting. I am doing the 150 hours as an undergrad elective.

BTW, first post!