What to Bring to the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering as to what in general to bring to the MCAT. My prep book lists:

Printout of confirmation

Personal ID (2?) -> I have my driver's license, but no passport. The only other photo ID I have that isn't school ID is my fire department ID T_T

Snacks/Sports Drink

Flashcards (I know about the yes/no/maybe depending on test location)

---And this---
Tissues

Cough drops

Analgesics

Antacids

Is this list appropriate? Any other recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

have a jacket or sweater with you if you get cold...b/c most computer labs are air conditioned...so u don't want to be freezing for 5 hours...

also, see if your test center allows you to bring your own ear plugs...mine did... b/c the headphones the centers give are useless...they are more annoying than helpful.

Hey all, I was wondering as to what in general to bring to the MCAT. My prep book lists:

Printout of confirmation

Personal ID (2?) -> I have my driver's license, but no passport. The only other photo ID I have that isn't school ID is my fire department ID T_T

Snacks/Sports Drink

---And this---
Tissues

Cough drops

Analgesics

Antacids

ALSO BRING YOUR BRAIN!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Printout of confirmation

Snacks/Sports Drink

---And this---
Tissues

Cough drops

Analgesics

Antacids

One ID like your driver's license will be fine. You do not need passport. Good luck on your test day!

Printout of confirmation

You actually do not need this- it is unlikely they will ask for it. I took it last year x2 at 2 different test sites in 2 different states and did not need it.

Your DL will be sufficient. Just make sure the name on it matches the name on your registration and you'll be fine. It will be the only thing you're allowed to bring with you into the testing area except for the pencils and paper provided by Prometric. Well, and your locker key (see below).

Snacks/Sports Drink

Yup. These will be kept in your locker.

Also kept in your locker. I saw people looking at them prior to the test starting, but I believe it's a big no-no to pull them out on breaks.

---And this---
Tissues

Cough drops

Analgesics

Antacids

Umm... antacids? Really? :laugh: I'd leave that stuff at home unless you've got a cold or are in some other way ill and requiring medication.

Agree with the sweater/sweatshirt comment, but please be aware that if you wear it in there, you have to keep it on. I think you can remove it on a break and put it in your locker, but you cannot take it off in the middle of a section.

Lol, I brought so many meds and wound up using none of them. I brought ibuprofen, pepto bismol, maalox and cough drops. And gatorade and bananas -- can you guys tell I took Kaplan? You're going to make me feel old if they don't recommend that stuff anymore.

Anyway, I'm all for superstitious behavior, so if it makes you feel happy to have it sitting in your locker, go for it. :)

As for the ID, I'd just check to make sure it's not expiring before you take the test.

No calculator?

o_O

(haven't started studying for the MCAT yet, but sort of assumed it would be needed for gen. chem, physics, etc.....)

Calculator not needed. Most of the time its manipulating factors of 10 and halves/thirds/quarters/fifths/sixths/etc.

No calculator?

o_O

(haven't started studying for the MCAT yet, but sort of assumed it would be needed for gen. chem, physics, etc.....)

:laugh: Bad news for you...you are not allowed to use a calculator on the MCAT...all mental math :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know of any ANTI-DIURETICS? I wish Wal-mart had an isle titled "ADH/VASSOPRESSIN - $5.99!"

I'd totally buy that in inject some straight into the VEINS!

No but really, I have a bad case of needing to use the bathroom all the time. Any suggestions? :oops:

Anyone know of any ANTI-DIURETICS? I wish Wal-mart had an isle titled "ADH/VASSOPRESSIN - $5.99!"

I'd totally buy that in inject some straight into the VEINS!

No but really, I have a bad case of needing to use the bathroom all the time. Any suggestions? :oops:

:laugh: I have this same issue. I would recommend cutting back on the coffee a little bit about a week prior to the exam. I say this now, but we'll see if I'm capable of doing this. I think they could sell my blood at Starbucks to all those looking for a quick pick me up.

:laugh: I have this same issue. I would recommend cutting back on the coffee a little bit about a week prior to the exam. I say this now, but we'll see if I'm capable of doing this. I think they could sell my blood at Starbucks to all those looking for a quick pick me up.

What about Glycerol? :idea: That way we can be superhydrated and yet not have to go pee all the time. If it works for running why not MCAT?

Reactions: 1 user
What about Glycerol? :idea: That way we can be superhydrated and yet not have to go pee all the time. If it works for running why not MCAT?

:laugh: Great idea!

Wouldn't that suck though if you improperly mixed it and ended up sitting for your exam with a severe headache and nausea...:barf::smuggrin:

^^haha i think u guyz should just keep away from the non-traditional and non authentic drugs just for a while....:p..

Also, I dont see a reason in taking a lot of food.. i've heard that u barely get time to sign out and in..lol

According to AAMC, no. Source: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/miscfaq.htm#5. But I don't think it'd hurt to call the testing center and ask if you can.
Earplugs are allowed. From the MCAT Essentials: "Earplugs are permitted, but upon arrival at the test center they must be presented... for inspection in their original sealed packaging."
I am DEFINITELY bringing earplugs, and would suggest wearing them during your practice exams. People will begin writing section at different times, and be walking in and out.

Sorry for the dumb question...
we type the essay for the writing section on the computer right? It's not paper-based just for the writing section right?

Wait-do they provide scratch paper+ writing utensil for math and stuff?

I think best writing stuff down =(

Dumb (but very realistic) question: what if you have a runny nose and need a tissue? Will they give you any, considering you're not allowed to bring anything from outside? Or do you have to get up at the expense of your timer and go to the bathroom :scared:

So just to confirm... we can't use any of our own pencils, they give it all to you at the testing center?

How much scratch paper do they give you? I tend to use it liberally.

Not sure if this is true for all testing centers, but we got a booklet of probably 5 sheets (front and back) for PS and then during the break between written and BS, we were able to get another package.

Dumb (but very realistic) question: what if you have a runny nose and need a tissue? Will they give you any, considering you're not allowed to bring anything from outside? Or do you have to get up at the expense of your timer and go to the bathroom :scared:

At MY testing center they would not allow ANY tissue whatsoever. So yes, you'd have to get up, go to the bathroom and blow your nose.. wasting your time.

You automatically get your test cancelled if you put your hands in your pockets (where your tissue probably would be?).. atleast thats what they told us.. im sur eduring the 5 hours i did put my hands in there

you can't bring coffee inside the testing center? You have to leave it in the locker???

Yeah, sucks eh? Just dont bring coffee. You dont want it anyways as it'll make you pee too much

So just to confirm... we can't use any of our own pencils, they give it all to you at the testing center?

Yep

Can you take your ipod & leave it in your locker & just listen to it during breaks and before the exam? My Kaplan instructor said she took hers but I forgot to ask if you can actually take it into the center & listen to it. I don't know what I'd do without my music to calm me down and ignore the other neurotic premeds:eek:

Can you take your ipod & leave it in your locker & just listen to it during breaks and before the exam? My Kaplan instructor said she took hers but I forgot to ask if you can actually take it into the center & listen to it. I don't know what I'd do without my music to calm me down and ignore the other neurotic premeds:eek:

honestly, by the time you sign out and everything (plus maybe use the restroom) you're break is almost over. and then it takes time to sign back in (with the printing--which might not work the first time--and all the other people) .

at least where i was, there wouldn't have been time to listen to anything on the breaks.

i took one of mine just sitting right in front of the computer screen. i stretched a little and then just doodled on my paper to calm my nerves.

I'm sorry if was answered before...

Do we bring anything else besides 2 forms of government issued ID's? we dont have to bring the confirmation printout?

Last edited:
Dont forget your bong for after the test (i would leave that in the car though..)
But seriously, good luck to ya!

I had to register to this website JUST because my MCAT is tomorrow and I was reading this forum and the post says don't forget your bong in your car.... butttt I pre-rolled a blunt. I was laughing my ass off at that post.... hence I had to join