What to do after graduation while trying to improve MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

There is the possibility that I do not make it into medical school this application cycle. In that event, I am trying to figure out what to do. The main issue that I would likely need to fix is the MCAT score. In the time that I try to improve the MCAT, what can I be doing? My main issue in studying for the MCAT has been finding both time and motivation and eliminating other life distractions. My worry is that I will put myself in some kind of situation after graduation that makes it difficult to study.

I would please like advice on the following ideas:

-Masters program, preferably a one-year Masters: how successful are these? If I am trying to improve my MCAT and will need a lot of studying, will this be a mistake? If a person doesn’t do very well in this type of Masters program, is it looked down upon? Is graduate study very difficult to balance with MCAT study?

-Work experience/random activities: try to find somewhere where I can stay in touch with some outside activities to keep myself motivated but not too involved that I don’t have time to study. May be volunteering?

-Any other ideas from others who have gone through this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a clinical job to boost your clinical ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Fix any other weaknesses in your application.

Clinical experience, volunteering, research, leadership, etc...

For MD schools, SMPs (and other 1 year masters) are meant to help students with low GPAs (usually <3.5) but competitive MCATs (>28).

Reactions: 1 user