What to do before starting school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted a seat for the entering class of 2009 and want to know what some you are doing or have done prior to starting school? Is it wise to start working at a lens crafters/optometrist office or just go out and have some fun? Should I start studying now trying to get ahead or just relax? What is everyones opinion on this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I accepted a seat for the entering class of 2009 and want to know what some you are doing or have done prior to starting school? Is it wise to start working at a lens crafters/optometrist office or just go out and have some fun? Should I start studying now trying to get ahead or just relax? What is everyones opinion on this?

Thanks

I would relax and have fun.

Whether you start working now is up to you. If you are bored and want a little extra $$$, it wouldn't be a bad idea for sure. There will be some expenses when you first start school, and it's possible your loan money won't be in just yet. Make sure you leave yourself some time to have fun though.

As for studying...I would say don't do it! :p You're going to be doing a LOT of that later. I'd say wait until school starts for that. Only possible exception is if you feel like you're really behind in something.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

Do not even THINK about studying or trying to get ahead. Believe you me, at the end of 4 years, you will have eaten, drank, and slept eyeballs. No need to add an extra 2 months onto that.

Enjoy your last summer of freedom. Take a cross country road trip. Backpack up Mt. Kilimanjaro. Go see the ceiling on the Sistine Chapel.

DO NOT do ANYTHING related to EYES.

DO NOT do ANYTHING related to EYES.

:thumbup: Seriously, he's right. Travel or do something fun you've never done before!

So if I'm trying to decide on a job just for the summer for a little income, it wouldn't be worth it to get something related to the field?

Marginally helpful at best (if that. I'd say not helpful at all).

You will learn all you need to learn as an optometry student.

So if I'm trying to decide on a job just for the summer for a little income, it wouldn't be worth it to get something related to the field?

Do not get anything related to the field.

Try to get a job as a waitress in a moderately nice restaurant or bar. Good money, lots of tips (ie cash under the table) and it'll also be an invaluable experience on how to deal with difficult and unreasonable people.

I'd suggest working for a general contractor. The plumbing, electrical, carpenter skills I picked up have proven valuable in my practice. The pay is quite good and you're going to be working indoors for the rest of your life, so why not spend one final summer outdoors.

Can't count how many times I've done minor projects/repairs myself
(Even disasembled my VF machine and repaired it)