what to do if you just cannot find a word or a phrase in the question stem on VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naixin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since they no longer provide line reference, a lot of the times, I just cannot find the key word in the question stem that they are asking. Is there a good approach for those kind of questions?

preread those questions?
map the passage well (but sometimes its really small stuff, not key points)

Members don't see this ad.

Since they no longer provide line reference, a lot of the times, I just cannot find the key word in the question stem that they are asking. Is there a good approach for those kind of questions?

preread those questions?
map the passage well (but sometimes its really small stuff, not key points)

I usually pre read the questions and highlight the parts of the passage that might be helpful later.

That way, I don't have to skim the passages again. I've found it saves time.

Looking to the questions first would be helpful, providing you knew which questions you would have trouble finding in the passage. That being said, I like the technique of looking to the detail questions before reading and noting them as you read.

Keep in mind that often times the question will paraphrase the text, so you need to look beyond the exact text and look for the idea or similar words.

Thanks. I just feel that preread questions is too time consuming.
Maybe I'll just scan short questions.

I don't pre-read questions because I feel like it takes away from understanding the big picture of the passage. But people have different techniques that work well for them. I don't think trying pre-reading questions can hurt. Just find what works best for you!