What to do (mainly EC-wise) going into sophomore year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

screamingoutlet

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I started my sophomore year and wanted input on how I should continue making myself a better applicant. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.63 overall/ 3.48 sciences (overloaded myself freshman year, hoping this year will be better since I have a light course load, while still being at 17 credits)

MCAT: Yet to take (Aiming for August 2015, would appreciate any study tips you guys have)

ECs:
  • In freshman year, 6 mos. research in a well known med school - I left because I was basically running SDS-PAGE and Western blots for 10 hours a week and there was hope of an independent project that my PI insisted I was going to get week after week
  • Religious Student Association - was prayer coordinator for a semester of freshman year, now VP this year, hoping to do some big things like service projects
  • Summer Research in a lab at my school (~35 hours a week(!)), will continue into this semester for credit (~12 hours a week)
  • Since May, Volunteer in ER and Children's care center (100 hours to date)
  • Volunteered for 4-5 months last year at a blood center welcoming donors and registering them at drives (40 hours)
  • Shadowed mainly pediatric specialties (35 hours)
  • Was treasurer for an engineering club last year (I am a ChemE major), but I am thinking about dropping this EC since it's mainly MechE oriented

What I am thinking about doing:
  • Volunteering at a hospital (different from where I am currently, but I'll stay there as well) as a sort of religious comfort volunteer
  • Joining the university organization that organizes events for prospective students
  • Joining a program where you volunteer at the county hospital once a week and followup (by phone or in person at the hospital) with patients that have been discharged and make sure they're following doctor's orders, etc.

I would greatly appreciate any input, especially about what I should do EC-wise. I am thinking about dropping my membership from the engineering club since it requires a bit of time commitment to design stuff (mechanical stuff, outside of my ChemE field), but I was advised to stick with it for longevity reasons. I am just concerned that I would have too little ECs and fall short, too many and overload myself, or too many and look like an obvious box-checker. I am hoping to get some words of insight from you guys.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You're doing fine. Having interests outside of medicine (like serious hobbies) would be nice not only for your med school app but for yourself.

But I hope you remember to focus on your GPA as your priority.

You're doing fine. Having interests outside of medicine (like serious hobbies) would be nice not only for your med school app but for yourself.

But I hope you remember to focus on your GPA as your priority.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll definitely keep GPA as my priority. It is nice to have some hobbies I can enjoy too. :)