What to do next year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efrainpb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im currently an MS3 who wants ortho residency. Im posting because I am debating between taking a year off for research in ortho (between my third and fourth year) or completing my fourth year without taking my year off. I have no current research and my numbers are:
Step 1: 207
Third year: All Honors and HP
I have various volunteer works

I still don't know what to do... My second option is PM&R but I don't want to apply to PM&R without trying ortho!. I have connections in some ortho programs but I don't want to rely on that. I am planning to ace step 2.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank You

PS. I currently have 4 orthopedics who I know are going to give me good letters

Members don't see this ad.

I am rads just perusing for fun, but you may want to consider the research. If it is anything like rads programs your step 1 could be a hindrance to interviews- many programs have cutoffs for step 1 that determine their interview list. For whatever reason it all seems weighted on step 1, while a good step 2 can help it cannot redeem a sub-par step 1.
I do not mean to offend, and firmly believe if you come from a good school with good letters ortho is totally within your reach, and a publication or 2 may give you an edge.
A classmate of mine did not match (top 5 school) though I am not aware of her grades and USMLE, but she ended up doing a research year after med school and got in to the ortho program she was doing research at.
Just my (somewhat irrelevant) 2 cents, GOOD LUCK!

1. Most people in medical school have a mix of honors and high pass during 3rd year...which clerkships did you honor?

2. What happened on step1?

I think you're fighting a very uphill battle, and you may want to do the research, absolutely nail your away rotations, and then apply very broadly hoping for interviews.

Really just depends on if you have other unique factors to help you stand out (athlete, cured cancer, female-which helps for ortho, etc) since step 1 didn't do you any favors. What sort of research would you do with the time off? Would it open the door for better letters?