What to do now...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I need some advice. I have applied to dental school twice. The first time I got 0 interviews, then I retook my DAT and started a MS program. Now this second time I applied I got 3 interviews. 2 of the schools I'm wait listed at and odds are against me and third school has no decision but I'm sure it's a rejection at this point. If I have to reapply a third time, what can I do to strengthen my application? I won't take my DAT again because my score is good enough (22aa/22ts). I also don't want to take more classes because now I have an MS and I don't want to take post Bac just to improve grades. I don't see how between now and June when I apply again (if I have to), I can be any different

Members don't see this ad.

I would work on interview skills. Have someone familiar with the process critique your answers to common questions.

How many shadowing hours do you have?
Is your personal statement strong?
How much volunteering have you done?
Can you get updated LORs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply on the week applications opened?! Yeah...work on your interview skills I guess? I literally made a fool of myself in 1 of my interviews and i guess they liked it and accepted mt ROFL. My point is, just be relax, chill and yes, do practice on your interview skills? Cause if you got interviews clearly, then what to know who you are.

He got interviews, so they must've thought his stats were good enough. But it would nice to know your stats so we can give good advice.

It also looks like to me that you are lacking in your interviewing skills.

He heard some good news already. I'm so happy for Shrister!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys thanks for all the input. I fortunately got accepted last week. For some reason SDN didn't notify me when you guys all responded, or I would have replied much earlier

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys, I want to start up this thread again because my acceptance to the school I got accepted to was rescinded :(

He got interviews, so they must've thought his stats were good enough. But it would nice to know your stats so we can give good advice.

It also looks like to me that you are lacking in your interviewing skills.

My undergrad stats are 3.3 overall, 3.0 science. My first semester MS GPA is 3.6x. My second semester will be higher, I think 3.8 at this point. I have 100+ hours of shadowing, I have done a lot of volunteering and was on the board of global dental brigades. My DATs were 22AA/22TS/20PAT, PAT was my lowest score, the rest above 21.

How many shadowing hours do you have?
Is your personal statement strong?
How much volunteering have you done?
Can you get updated LORs?

I have 100+ hours of shadowing. I don't know how to judge my personal statement, but I don't think its weak. I have tons of volunteering hours, locally and overseas. This year when I apply again, I will have updated my personal statement with the help of some faculty from my MS program, who will also be giving me 2 new LOR. I mentioned my GPA and stats in the response above. Hopefully I can get some honest advice/opinions.

I appreciate the help guys.

I'm looking at the stats for Western University dental school. I wonder if I have a chance at their school next year with my stats. My top pick, my dream choice, would be UOP

Members don't see this ad :)
How did your acceptance get rescinded? Not having the right prereqs?

You had multiple interviews. From what I read last cycle, most schools accept 50-75% of intervees. I would update your application to reflect the continued dedication to dentistry emphasizing all actions taken to pursue this in the last year. Don't memorize any interview answers, but have preset talking points to answer why dentistry? Why you? Why X school? I'm sure you'll get more interviews, go in with confidence and crush it.

What can I say?

COntinue shadowing and probably find some interesting hobbies to do as work. Make sure you explain all of your infractions this time.

What can I say?

COntinue shadowing and probably find some interesting hobbies to do as work. Make sure you explain all of your infractions this time.

One infraction, but yeah no way I'm not making that mistake again. Now I have to wait a whole damn year and have no clue what to do.

Dang man. I got excited when I saw that you made it. Good luck!

Dang man. I got excited when I saw that you made it. Good luck!

Thanks man. I was pretty excited myself. Just hope this doesn't affect my chances next cycle. This will be the last time I try to get in.

Thanks man. I was pretty excited myself. Just hope this doesn't affect my chances next cycle. This will be the last time I try to get in.
Apply to schools that don't require a background check? Damn that sucks.

Apply to schools that don't require a background check? Damn that sucks.

Every school requires a background check. I talked to advisors from my MS program and they said the incident is really minor and it should affect my chances. They told me it was the fact that I didn't report it in the application that screwed me.

What I'm afraid of now is telling schools that I got my acceptance rescinded. Not sure how schools will react.

This is just my personal opinion, but i think one of the reason why there was such a consequential blacklash for your absent-mindedness was because the school in question is ASDOH.

This is just my personal opinion, but i think one of the reason why there was such a consequential blacklash for your absent-mindedness was because the school in question is ASDOH.

What do you mean?

Is that true? Bc I was going to go to one school that would of made me pay to do it, and when I got into my state school I have not gotten any info about it

I'm really sorry and I hope you have a better chance this cycle!

On a side note, do we have to mention it even if it's just a speeding ticket?

I'm really sorry and I hope you have a better chance this cycle!

On a side note, do we have to mention it even if it's just a speeding ticket?

No you don't have to mention speeding tickets. I have a couple and they didn't show up on the background check

Reactions: 1 user
Is that true? Bc I was going to go to one school that would of made me pay to do it, and when I got into my state school I have not gotten any info about it

Some schools uses other companies for background checks instead of CertiPhi. My school didn't send out an announcement until I sent an email asking about CertiPhi requests. Had I not gotten the requests from the other schools, I might've not even have known about the background checks.