What to do on sabbatical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plectron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a month long sabbatical coming up soon. It's during the school year so a big family trip is out. I was thinking about looking into either a medical mission (preferably with a non-religion based group) or some international locums. Anyone have any experience with either? Thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you need to spend your time doing something work-related? Or can you just go on a vacation?

Reactions: 1 user
EM is emerging in Japan and Chile, I know folks who have done sabbaticals in each. Either might be a cool place to spend a month...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never done either. Does this sabbatical have to be medicine related?

You can do an intensive library-based research project in one month such as writing a meta-analysis or review article. If you are interested in medical mission trips, try this website for a listing. Just as an aside, what job gives physicians a month-long sabbatical? Do you get paid during this time period?

Last edited:
this sounds crazy I know, but can "nothing" be an option for what to do during sabatical?

this sounds crazy I know, but can "nothing" be an option for what to do during sabatical?
That's the best kind. Go where the wind blows you.

"Nothing" is an option but gets pretty boring after a while. Sabbatical is our only paid time off (full pay) and we get one month every 19 months.

Go somewhere with a beach and an ocean...lay in a hammock for 30 days self administering cheap novels, pina coladas, and lovenox. Come back at the end of 30 days. Paid time off? That's crazy talk.

"Nothing" is an option but gets pretty boring after a while. Sabbatical is our only paid time off (full pay) and we get one month every 19 months.
Learn to _____. Sail, scuba, snorkel, rock climb, ice climb, fly, whatever you want. Hike a portion of the AT or PCT. Go on a safari in Africa. See how far you can canoe up the Amazon. Write a novel.
Whatever you want man. If you don't want to do nothing, do something, but make it something you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scuba is fun, but I'd rather spend a month riding horses, practicing my putts, drinking margaritas, and reading NON-cheap novels.

Maybe there's a place out there where you can do all of that?

Last edited: