What to do? School won't allow a re-take anymore - stuck with a C- ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloud99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My sister took chem 1 and received a C-, then took chem 2 and got an A-. It wasn't until the following year that she began to consider going to med school, meaning she needs to retake chem 1. The problem is, her school (U. of Pitt) will not allow her to retake chem 1 since she moved forward in the sequence and passed chem 2 with a C or better. Her chem 1 score is now "locked into" her Pitt transcript and GPA and she can't retake it there anymore.

How can she now fulfill the pre-req. for chem 1? I was thinking maybe she could take it at another school, get a C or better (hopefully an A), and not even submit it to Pitt. since they won't accept it anyway. She would just submit it to AMCAS with all her other transcripts when she applies to show them that she met that pre-req.

Has anyone ever had to do something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Appeal
2) Retake at another university or Community College.

I'm not sure about Pitt, but I know that some schools allow you to retake a course after you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Appeal definitely.

I have never heard of a school that WILL NOT allow you to retake a class because you passed the next in the series. This is either the silliest university rule I've ever heard of, or a mistake by whichever adviser you were talking to.

Appeal definitely.

I have never heard of a school that WILL NOT allow you to retake a class because you passed the next in the series. This is either the silliest university rule I've ever heard of, or a mistake by whichever adviser you were talking to.

Yeah, it's definitely a rule at Pitt, and they do make it known, at least for the courses I took. Usually it says in the syllabus for the 2nd course in the series that once you pass add/drop or W-deadline, your score in the 1st course is locked. No idea why they do that, but they do.

I'm pretty sure she can take the course at another school, and just submit the transcript to AMCAS.

My UG didn't allow retakes if you passed the course. She should take it during the summer at a decent undergrad school. I'm not knocking community college, but they don't have a reputation for being extremely rigorous. You want to get an A to prove you can master the material.

I retook orgo 2 and ended up fine (one acceptance so far). You just submit a separate transcript to AMCAS