What to do the last 3 weeks before med school starts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemichordate

Peds
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions?

I'm so tired of relaxing. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I've been drinking red wine by the bottle, slacking at work, and enjoying the great outdoors. I'm thoroughly satisfied.

Oh and I've also been spending crazy amounts of money on stuff for my apartment. If I'm going to be $250k in debt I might as well have some nice stuff.

I've been taking the time to do things i probably won't get a chance to do much of in med school, but have been putting off during my hard core slacking summer vacation. getting back into yoga, running, painting, playing with poi....

Plus the packing and worrying about being the dumbest person in class. DERP.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha you guys are awesome.

I'd suggest getting into really good shape if you're single. At the beginning of the year you have TONS of time to hit on girls/get hit on by guys. You can milk the med student status without being as busy as a full-blown med student. By the middle of the year you will have lost time for and interest in sex and relationships, so it will be too late.

Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of waiting as well. Just want to get started. I have more than 3 weeks to wait though - don't start until Aug 31st.

I'd suggest getting into really good shape if you're single. At the beginning of the year you have TONS of time to hit on girls/get hit on by guys. You can milk the med student status without being as busy as a full-blown med student. By the middle of the year you will have lost time for and interest in sex and relationships, so it will be too late.
:laugh: you're joking right?

anyone who blames med school for not having sex/dating/a relationship wasn't going to have one in the first place

Any suggestions?

go do fun stuff that won't be available in the city that you're moving to for school. take a trip somewhere

This is fantastic advice. :thumbup:

:laugh: you're joking right?

anyone who blames med school for not having sex/dating/a relationship wasn't going to have one in the first place

I agree to an extent... I think the majority of people do make excuses like that however there were chunks of time during ms1 where there was no damn time to get to the bars and spit game and I had alrdy milked the class of what its worth aka I was a miserable human looking to bang just about anything that walks. Once the workload lightened up again I was back at it but there are some dark gloomy times..better find a good website.

I agree to an extent... I think the majority of people do make excuses like that however there were chunks of time during ms1 where there was no damn time to get to the bars and spit game and I had alrdy milked the class of what its worth aka I was a miserable human looking to bang just about anything that walks. Once the workload lightened up again I was back at it but there are some dark gloomy times..better find a good website.

hmmm M1 was by far the lightest year for me.

there are other places besides bars to meet women as well

if one considers sex and dating to be important the only time med school might get in the way is during surgery and dedicated step studying IMO

I've been taking the time to do things i probably won't get a chance to do much of in med school, but have been putting off during my hard core slacking summer vacation. getting back into yoga, running, painting, playing with poi....

Same here. Now that I've quit my job, I have a ton of time on my hands for the next 3 weeks. I've been packing, catching up on movies, reading (for fun, not pre-studying :p), and spending as much time as I can with friends and family, since I know I won't have too much time for these things. But I'm getting pretty bored of the "relaxing" too. I just want to start already, so excited! :)

Unfortunately, I'm still pretty broke from the application process. So no trips for me. :(

And seeing as I'm going to medical school in the same city I live in, I won't have to miss anything :laugh:.

dump your significant other because (a) it's probably not gonna last unless they're in your class and (b) there will be lots of people in college to :love:

Any suggestions?

Never say that, because you will miss the feeling of having NOTHING to do :)

I would suggest lots of golf, learn how to throw a frisbee multiple ways, start a P90X cycle, learn how to cook and/or use a crock pot, learn how to do laundry correctly (if you haven't already), and finally if you are going to have debt learn about the terms, what type it is, the rates, etc. (this is monumentally helpful later on)

Essentially, learn how to do everyday life stuff now so when you're focused on school work it will all be second nature and not a hassle

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Never say that, because you will miss the feeling of having NOTHING to do :)

I would suggest lots of golf, learn how to throw a frisbee multiple ways, start a P90X cycle, learn how to cook and/or use a crock pot, learn how to do laundry correctly (if you haven't already), and finally if you are going to have debt learn about the terms, what type it is, the rates, etc. (this is monumentally helpful later on)

Essentially, learn how to do everyday life stuff now so when you're focused on school work it will all be second hand and not a hassle

knowing how to golf can get you out of some clinical duties 3rd year. seriously

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one getting bored trying to relax all the time. I've been going kayaking and I've watched more movies and TV shows (thanks to netflix) in the last few months than I can count. Tried pre-studying for a day = that turned out to be an epic fail. Totally not in the mood to study when I don't have lecture.

I guess I'll just keep reading some good books, watch movies, and spend time with my fam. I guess I could try learning how to play golf...

dump your significant other because (a) it's probably not gonna last unless they're in your class and (b) there will be lots of people in college to :love:

After reading some of the other posts in this thread, I'm surprised you used :love: and not some other verb. ; )

As for my summer, I've been relaxing with family. Trying not to plan things too much, just letting it happen.

I think a lot of people missed this...hahaha Great advice:xf:

What to do before MS1 begins:

-you're gonna love medical school! :love: it is a really amazing experience.

-get a tan before school starts

-try to worry as little as possible about the upcoming school year. stuff will just happen and you will deal with it

-catch up on Dr. appointments, etc.

-if you're moving: prepare emotionally to feel very lonely

-sign up for a free student Amazon prime membership, to buy your textbooks (then buy the first-year books I'm trying to sell on there! lol)

-read this book (either edition). i used its study methods throughout MS1: http://www.amazon.com/How-Study-Med...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311270068&sr=1-1

-if you want to study, you could start reading Costanzo physiology ahead of time

-look at the syllabus to figure out the grading scheme for each course (how much each exam is worth, and what it takes to earn pass/high pass/whatever your school uses)

-find good ways to make friends in your class! cliques develop quickly

-if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend/best friend, enjoy every moment with them! your relationship could suffer irreparably from day 1 of med school. those who would never break up with you... might break up with you. but you will be glad in the long run. :)

-go to the grocery store and feel like a normal human being, for the last time in your life! haha this one especially surprised me. med school is a weird little bubble where everyone is young, successful, efficient and healthy-- they rarely hit their kids or smoke or scream in public, like they do at walmart.

-think very very very intently about your motivation to go into medicine. visualize where you want it to take you. later, use your dream to get you through the tough times, when you don't want to be in medical school anymore and you can't remember why this was a good idea. education is always a good idea, and there are a lot of happy doctors. don't be convinced otherwise.

What to do when school starts:

-go to every first-year welcome event! fun times. sometimes they are hosted by upper-classmen, which is a good way to meet them, too. they can help you later!

-get to know a 2nd year student to learn study tips from them

-if things go badly for the first couple of months, they will get better. i promise. that's the biggest thing med school teaches us. you can survive annnnnything. all of your classmates will open up around Christmas exams, admitting that they've had miserable days too, and the realization will help you feel better.

-feel entitled to find a perfect living situation, which you love and which allows you to sleep comfortably

-all those times you asked med students "how many hours in an average day do you spend studying?" haha. remember how, during finals week in undergrad, you planned your life around studying? "when is the most ideal time to eat, do i have time to work out today, should i go to the grocery store or finish this chapter?" yeah. well this year will be like that too. a quest for the epic (most-efficient) schedule. but hey, better busy then bored and anxious (like you feel now before school starts :) )

-find special ways to memorize things. it really works! like the journey method, or putting words together to remember the association (for example, i memorized hippocampa-memory to remember the main function of the hippocampus. i know this sounds cheesy but i found it effective).

-be prepared to feel discouraged and humiliated in school, even by the methods of the school/faculty itself. the whole process is frustrating, and they'll do things you think are stupid. you will still love it.

-try to worry as little as possible about the upcoming school year. stuff will just happen and you will deal with it

-sign up for a free student Amazon prime membership, to buy your textbooks (then buy the first-year books I'm trying to sell on there! lol)

-read this book (either edition). i used its study methods throughout MS1: http://www.amazon.com/How-Study-Med...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311270068&sr=1-1

-if you want to study, you could start reading Costanzo physiology ahead of time

-look at the syllabus to figure out the grading scheme for each course (how much each exam is worth, and what it takes to earn pass/high pass/whatever your school uses)

-if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend/best friend, enjoy every moment with them! your relationship could suffer irreparably from day 1 of med school. those who would never break up with you... might break up with you. but you will be glad in the long run. :)

-go to the grocery store and feel like a normal human being, for the last time in your life! haha this one especially surprised me. med school is a weird little bubble where everyone is young, successful, efficient and healthy-- they rarely hit their kids or smoke or scream in public, like they do at walmart.

-think very very very intently about your motivation to go into medicine. visualize where you want it to take you. later, use your dream to get you through the tough times, when you don't want to be in medical school anymore and you can't remember why this was a good idea. education is always a good idea, and there are a lot of happy doctors. don't be convinced otherwise.

-go to every first-year welcome event! fun times. sometimes they are hosted by upper-classmen, which is a good way to meet them, too. they can help you later!

-if things go badly for the first couple of months, they will get better. i promise. that's the biggest thing med school teaches us. you can survive annnnnything. all of your classmates will open up around Christmas exams, admitting that they've had miserable days too, and the realization will help you feel better.

-feel entitled to find a perfect living situation, which you love and which allows you to sleep comfortably

-all those times you asked med students "how many hours in an average day do you spend studying?" haha. remember how, during finals week in undergrad, you planned your life around studying? "when is the most ideal time to eat, do i have time to work out today, should i go to the grocery store or finish this chapter?" yeah. well this year will be like that too. a quest for the epic (most-efficient) schedule. but hey, better busy then bored and anxious (like you feel now before school starts :) )

-find special ways to memorize things. it really works! like the journey method, or putting words together to remember the association (for example, i memorized hippocampa-memory to remember the main function of the hippocampus. i know this sounds cheesy but i found it effective).

-be prepared to feel discouraged and humiliated in school, even by the methods of the school/faculty itself. the whole process is frustrating, and they'll do things you think are stupid. you will still love it.

Great post! :thumbup:

Yep. I feel like I pulled off this huge scam and it's only a matter of time before they realize the terrible, terrible mistake they've made.

"lol, check out this idiot who thinks he's actually a medical student. Sir, you need to leave right now."

Yep. I feel like I pulled off this huge scam and it's only a matter of time before they realize the terrible, terrible mistake they've made.

"lol, check out this idiot who thinks he's actually a medical student. Sir, you need to leave right now."

:laugh: I feel the same way.

+3. Mostly worried that patients are going to hate me.

I'm worried I won't make any friends. I suck at making friends. Everyone says that med classes are tight knit, but I wouldn't be surprised to find myself on the outside.

Just waiting for white coat ceremony to be the biggest practical joke of my life. You thought you got in! SYKE! :laugh: Or that someone from admissions will tell me they let me in to make the other students feel better about themselves.

But look on the bright side - AT LEAST I'LL BE USEFUL! I can serve as a self-esteem booster for my classmates.

Also, Tryp - I wouldn't worry too much... Maybe you had trouble making friends because the people you met in college just wanted to party and had nothing in common with you, where as in med school you will be up to your neck in dedicated nerds. Plus, misery loves company and maybe anatomy lab will be like one of those traumatic experiences that bring people together. <3

Thanks for the info :thumbup::)

Cry because the next three years of your life are going to be horrible.