What to do to get into Pod School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog1123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think you should be ok if you apply to all those schools. A graduate GPA in a science masters program of 3.6 is great and your MCAT, while low, meets the minimum requirements of every pod school I know of. Especially that 9 in the bio section will help you if anyone looks at a breakdown. An LOR from Dr. Ruch is probably the best you could have unless you can get E. Dalton McGlamry to write you one. Everyone knows who Ruch is. I think you've done as well as you can and it's now or never. The only thing you could consider is re-taking the MCAT if you think you'll have more study time but, like I said, you have met the minimum requirements with that 22.

You're golden OP

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies. My primary goal is podiatry but since I am working as a pharm tech as well I figured I would take the PCAT to have a backup plan in my back pocket. I would love to go to Temple since I was originally from Philly. Is there any other advice anyone else would recommend to boost my chances? I have been working non stop to overcome my terrible undergrad GPA and will continue to do so until I get into Pod school. With my current situation with my masters, MCAT, extras, etc if I were to apply first thing August what would my chances be? and again aside from MCAT (I am toying with the idea of taking it again with a longer prep time but also am considering taking the PCAT to have a backup to Pod), what else should I look to do?

First of all, congrats on turning your life around and realizing your own potential. I think you've done all the right things. It's hard to tell what your chances are, but you are definitely doing all that you can. I think it speaks great volume that you're actually proving to admissions that you can handle the coursework by doing well in your masters program. If you apply early in August, I think you should be okay. As far as retaking the MCAT, I'm not sure if that'll help. It wouldn't hurt to call Temple and ask what they think about your situation and whether or not you should retake. Please do keep us posted and best of luck to you. I'm rooting for you!

I appreciate that Pod. I sent out emails to NYCPM, KSUCPM and TUSPM. I had received emails from them about open houses or if I was interested in Pod medicine (should I put any stock in those emails?) to see how they feel about me and what I can do.

I am planning on applying to all the institutions this August. Would I be wasting my money? Where would I have a legit shot? I understand the AZPOD and DMU if I am not mistaken are probably impossible but where should I be focusing on?

I apologize for the constant posts. This is something I want real bad and do not want to leave any stone unturned.

Bulldog 1123; As a lurker practicing MD for 36 years, and having sat on admissions committees, I would recommend the following. Understand these are just my personal thoughts. Your statement on Master's GPA, MUST BE > 3.6! Second increase hrs of shadowing the POD. to a large #, like 400+ hrs if possible. Third re take MCAT and score as high as possible, new formate at least 500 (old format >26++). These efforts would demonstrate your "real" interest in POD. Good Luck..

I appreciate that Pod. I sent out emails to NYCPM, KSUCPM and TUSPM. I had received emails from them about open houses or if I was interested in Pod medicine (should I put any stock in those emails?) to see how they feel about me and what I can do.

I am planning on applying to all the institutions this August. Would I be wasting my money? Where would I have a legit shot? I understand the AZPOD and DMU if I am not mistaken are probably impossible but where should I be focusing on?

I apologize for the constant posts. This is something I want real bad and do not want to leave any stone unturned.

It sounds like those are standard emails that those schools send out to all interested applicants. From what I remember, I also received those emails. To get some straight answers, you may have to call the schools themselves and ask. As far as applying to all schools, I would agree AZPOD and DMU maybe a bit of a stretch, but you wouldn't know unless you tried. If you can afford it, then give them a shot. As far as a legit shot, it's hard to tell but if you apply as early as you can, I think you'll get in somewhere, most likely a school with larger class size. To add a note about shadowing: build a good relationship with the pod you shadow and hope that he/she writes a really good letter for you. I think getting a higher GPA on your Masters outweigh getting a higher score on the MCAT. <-- this is strictly my opinion and many may disagree.