What to do until residency starts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucktoothdental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else wish they could get to their residency program immediately? This will be the longest 8 months of my life........

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a job hasn't crossed your mind?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You will never have this much time off again. Do something that you've always wanted to do (if financially possible), like traveling. Whatever you do, enjoy the time. Maybe get an easy job until then to pass the time and get some extra money.
I actually had a job loading trucks the summer before starting dental school. After doing that crap work, I really, really appreciated my opportunity to be a dentist!
Do you know where you will eventually want to practice? You could always scope out potential areas to practice. It's never too soon for that. Maybe start making contacts now that will help in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
have you graduated from dental school yet?

Yea I graduated. I own a dental practice and am rather busy, however I am just anxious to get started on my actual specialty Just looking forward to starting that is all. So I guess I will just silently keep to myself about my excitement. ....

I apologize, I made an assumption. To me, you sounded a lot like a recent grad with no loans to pay.

Congrats on your residency.

Yea I graduated. I own a dental practice and am rather busy, however I am just anxious to get started on my actual specialty Just looking forward to starting that is all. So I guess I will just silently keep to myself about my excitement. ....
If possible, take some time out to travel. Go somewhere that you've never been. You won't have this much time, again, in a while. Just savor life, one day at a time. Congrats on the acceptance. It's getting competitive out there (smile). Oh, btw, save some money, lol!!!

I agree w/ whoever said to do something that you've always wanted to do. I would definitely travel!

But if you own a practice and are rather busy that may be difficult to do. Also, if own your practice may I ask what your plans are to do with your practice once you start Endo residency? Are you going to sell it? Hire someone? Have your patients to find another GP within 8 months? Not sure if you have finalized these long-term plans yet (if you have, that's great and ignore what I'm saying), but it would be wise to start figuring out now what to do with your current practice while start residency. My opinion is that if you somehow keep a stake in your practice this will be a reasonable source of patients (and referrals) to see once you become an endodontist assuming you are returning to your current area to practice.