What to do when it's your dream school(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was just wondering if anybody has any advice on how to improve my chances at my dream schools (NYU, MSSM). I know that I am a long shot for MD schools, let alone these two, but I have been interested in them, as well as attending medical school in NYC, for a long time. I've wanted to go to NYU in particular since early high school, but I couldn't afford it for undergrad, so I went to school in state instead. Anyway, does either school accept updates on transcripts, activities, etc.? I am aware of the fact that my chances are pretty much nonexistent, but I can't even put into words how much I want this. I'm sure there are a number of people who will read it and think that if I wanted it that badly, I would have done better in undergrad, but there's nothing I can do about that now. So does anybody have any suggestions? I've been complete at NYU since 07/24 and MSSM since 08/06. I called MSSM recently and was told my file was under review, but other than that, silence. So even if you think I'm wasting my own time, as well as that of the schools, I would appreciate some feedback other than to forget it, move on, or that I'm insane for spending my time and/or money applying to these schools. Thanks.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, but my guess is that your desire to go there isn't going to help much. For one, how can it truly be conveyed without looking like you're just launching a preemptive "don't reject me" sortie? And second, even if it were perfectly conveyed, how much would that factor into their decision?

I hope you get in though. Good luck.

Yeah I know it's a long shot, but I figure I should try anyway. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth, I wrote a pre-interview-invite one page letter to my dream school (Mayo) about why I thought they were so amazing, and why I thought I would be a great fit. I don't know how much that accounts for my interview invite, but I would think that the schools that say they value fit would probably take such a letter more into consideration than schools that don't. At least, that's my impression. I don't know the New York schools enough to have an opinion or give any advice with respect to them specifically. Good luck!

yeh those schools were my dream ones too....looong time ago:)

now i have a different dream school--The one that takes me SOM:scared::scared::scared:

GL op :luck::luck::luck:

For what it's worth, I wrote a pre-interview-invite one page letter to my dream school (Mayo) about why I thought they were so amazing, and why I thought I would be a great fit. I don't know how much that accounts for my interview invite, but I would think that the schools that say they value fit would probably take such a letter more into consideration than schools that don't. At least, that's my impression. I don't know the New York schools enough to have an opinion or give any advice with respect to them specifically. Good luck!
Yeah, I'm thinking I might write letters to send to each school soon. Hopefully it makes some sort of difference.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might write letters to send to each school soon. Hopefully it makes some sort of difference.

Well, I only sent a letter to one school, but I suppose you could send letters to multiple schools provided that you really tailored each letter to each school (i.e., not just send a "form" letter), and made sure they didn't contain any language that would make them sound like letters of intent (i.e., if you let me into your school I would withdraw from all others). Otherwise, I think it sounds like a good idea. Good luck!

Well, I only sent a letter to one school, but I suppose you could send letters to multiple schools provided that you really tailored each letter to each school (i.e., not just send a "form" letter), and made sure they didn't contain any language that would make them sound like letters of intent (i.e., if you let me into your school I would withdraw from all others). Otherwise, I think it sounds like a good idea. Good luck!
Well I'd only send it to the two schools, and it would be strictly interest-based, not a letter of intent. I'd probably include updates about my applications (grades, etc.) and then as you said, write about why I'm interested in the school and why I feel I would be a good fit. It can't hurt.

Well I'd only send it to the two schools, and it would be strictly interest-based, not a letter of intent. I'd probably include updates about my applications (grades, etc.) and then as you said, write about why I'm interested in the school and why I feel I would be a good fit. It can't hurt.

I am absolutely of the opinion that it can't hurt. :luck::luck::luck:

yeh those schools were my dream ones too....looong time ago:)

now i have a different dream school--The one that takes me SOM:scared::scared::scared:

GL op :luck::luck::luck:
Thanks! I am really kicking myself for the mistakes I made as a freshman. I wish I could blame somebody else, but I know it's my own fault. I let myself be swayed/manipulated by a "friend" and my grades suffered. :( Lesson learned, but I'm afraid most schools see it as too little, too late. Which stinks, because I know that I could do well at those schools. I know it. Good luck to you as well!