This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsfan12

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am applying to about 15 MD and 15 DO programs, I would like to keep my options open. I submitted my secondary apps around September so things are a little late at the moment for my chances of getting into a school in this cycle. I was wondering what applicants do while they are in the application cycle/in the event that they are potentially preparing to reapply.

I am 21 and will complete my bachelors degree after finishing up a statistics course that I am taking on the side at the University near my house. I am planning on working at a urologist research lab and will add more shadow hours while possibly getting more publications done. I have done medical work internationally and have shadowed several doctors in the past. I am not necessarily worried about my extracurricular activities, but overall I just want to know what I should do in the event that I have to reapply, should I add more hours and add new activities to show my commitment to the application process and getting accepted into a school? Let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to work as much as you can and save as much money as you can. You need to go live a while. 21 is super young and not getting in is not the end of the world. Go travel, see the world.

I worked full time and took A&P and a psych course at the school i got my bs from. I really just went to work, napped, and studied. I definitely regret not traveling or taking days off for myself. Use this time the best you can!

If you're not going to take time to re-take the MCAT and pretty much have a free year, I would recommend doing something that you enjoy! I backpacked around for 4 months and it was the best decision I've made!