This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedethio23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a 4th year undergrad (African American female) at GW set to graduate May 2016. I have a cGPA of 3.35 and sGPA of 2.97. I know my GPA is too low to apply to medical school now, and I have yet to take the MCAT. As of now, I see post-bacc programs for academic enhancers as my only way to get into med school. However, I've been struggling to find the right fit as I come from a low socioeconomic background, and want to avoid taking out too many loans before medical school. I have a list of about 7 local post-bacc programs that accept my GPA and are not too far from home (DC). On the other hand, I am a Gates Millennium Scholar, so the scholarship would pay for my graduate school if I were to get do a master's program; however, I have not taken the GRE, so I think I'm too late to apply to most masters programs in science, but I have also found some exceptions. I'm also training to become a scribe as a back-up for part-time work when I graduate, and I am also considering taking the MCAT in April 2016. It seems that I am limited because of my GPA, but I don't know what my plan of action should be. Any advice???

*Also, perhaps unrelated, but I did an early college program, so I was able to "skip" 11th and 12th grade of high school. So I will be graduating from college at 19, how will that affect my prospects for any program (post-bacc/masters/med school) that I apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is not too low. Get a good MCAT and you will be fine!
You don't need a postbac. Maybe just one or two science courses to raise the sGPA above 3.0.

Your GPA is not too low. Get a good MCAT and you will be fine!
You don't need a postbac. Maybe just one or two science courses to raise the sGPA above 3.0.

+1 I believe that your sGPA is below the minimum for HBCUs.

OP consider DO school for grade replacement too. As for gap-year, if you need some moolah, I would suggest that you get a clinical job like paramedic, EMT, Phlebotomist, or medical scribe. etc.

Last edited by a moderator: