What to do with my year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatever5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I planned on taking a gap year between med school and undergrad, which is where I'm at right now. I had a job lined up as a research assistant, but the study lost funding and now I'm really worried.

What do you guys suggest I do during this year off? I'm really worried that if I end up just working at some dumb job that I don't need a degree for that med schools will raise their eyebrows at me.

Any help is appreciated :love:

Members don't see this ad.

So I planned on taking a gap year between med school and undergrad, which is where I'm at right now. I had a job lined up as a research assistant, but the study lost funding and now I'm really worried.

What do you guys suggest I do during this year off? I'm really worried that if I end up just working at some dumb job that I don't need a degree for that med schools will raise their eyebrows at me.

Any help is appreciated :love:

Volunteering can't hurt if you're looking for things to pad your resume/talk about.

If you worked some "dumb job", but at the same time did some clinical and non-clinical volunteering, I don't think it'd look bad. Other than that, continue to develop your interests (hobbies); do something intellectual/academic.

That's what I'd do barring some sort of amazing gig lined up. Also, maybe look into AmeriCorps.

I looked into Americorps - are those positions paid or unpaid? I can't tell :confused:

I looked into Americorps - are those positions paid or unpaid? I can't tell :confused:

I believe you get a stipend. It's kind of cool when you make more than minimum wage yet can still call it "volunteering." I believe Utah is the only school that does not count it as volunteering. Otherwise, it's not a bad way to go. It helped pad my friend's law school application pretty well. :thumbup: