What to Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulRx14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently pursuing a PhD in pharmacology. I have two years left and I know that I don't want to do a post doc. I was thinking about doing either my pharmD or MD after to get that clinical experience as I wanted to be able to do research as a clinical scientist and also have the ability to practice some days as well. The problem is I completed my BS about five years ago and some of my pre reqs are out of date. There's no way I'm retaking all of those courses. I'm at a point now where I need to know what I want to do because these two years will go by fast. PharmD will give me that drug knowledge that I need to compliment my PhD. However I'm not retaking courses. Do all school have a time limit on pre reqs or is it just some schools? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently pursuing a PhD in pharmacology. I have two years left and I know that I don't want to do a post doc. I was thinking about doing either my pharmD or MD after to get that clinical experience as I wanted to be able to do research as a clinical scientist and also have the ability to practice some days as well. The problem is I completed my BS about five years ago and some of my pre reqs are out of date. There's no way I'm retaking all of those courses. I'm at a point now where I need to know what I want to do because these two years will go by fast. PharmD will give me that drug knowledge that I need to compliment my PhD. However I'm not retaking courses. Do all school have a time limit on pre reqs or is it just some schools? What should I do?
Don't waste 4 years to get a degree you'll maybe use 4 days a month.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how much a PhD in pharmacology makes but I can only assume it's not even close to being worth it financially.

Which degree are you referring 2?
Either.
This is a bad plan.

Reactions: 1 user
I see you're a pharmacist. Explain why this is a bad plan?
You earn about $50 * 12 hr = $600 ($400 after taxes) for a day as a pharmacist. If you spend $100,000 getting the degree and pay no interest, that's 250 days of work to break even. That's five years at one shift per week. Add the 4 years of pharmacy school and you have a nine year break even. With interest, it will be more like 13 years.

Reactions: 1 users
You earn about $50 * 12 hr = $600 ($400 after taxes) for a day as a pharmacist. If you spend $100,000 getting the degree and pay no interest, that's 250 days of work to break even. That's five years at one shift per week. Add the 4 years of pharmacy school and you have a nine year break even. With interest, it will be more like 13 years.

Although this is true, it misses some important points.

1. You salary as a pharmacist is not static, unless you stay in the same type of job for your whole career. Moving up into higher levels of the organization brings with it larger paychecks.

2. Even if you stay in the same job where your salary will not increase dramatically over the years, if you love what you are doing, then that is more than worth the investment and the long break even point. Many people would rather work in a job they love, then make more money or owe less student loan debt to work in a job they hate every day. And with all of the different types of jobs for a pharmacists, from patient care roles to sitting behind a desk, there are lots of opportunities to find the role that will be great for you.

1. You salary as a pharmacist is not static, unless you stay in the same type of job for your whole career. Moving up into higher levels of the organization brings with it larger paychecks.

2. Even if you stay in the same job where your salary will not increase dramatically over the years, if you love what you are doing, then that is more than worth the investment and the long break even point. Many people would rather work in a job they love, then make more money or owe less student loan debt to work in a job they hate every day. And with all of the different types of jobs for a pharmacists, from patient care roles to sitting behind a desk, there are lots of opportunities to find the role that will be great for you.
You have drank so much Kool-Aid, I can't even begin to fathom what this line of thinking must be like...

Reactions: 5 users

#1 - How often are pharmacists who "practice some days" as a second job offered promotions?

#2 - If they loved pharmacy, they'd be looking to actually be a pharmacist, not "practice some days".

Wait, no. I take it back. OP, go sign up for Chapman University. Their leadership has me convinced.

Reactions: 2 users