What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdn24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently pursuing my phd in pharmacology with about one year left after this year. I'm at a stand still because I don't know what type of job I want after I graduate. I know that I don't want to do a post doc(might as well get another degree). I want to have options if that makes any sense. Initially I was gonna do pharmd/phd but I don't know if that will even be worth doing. I would love to stay in the south for my career. I even thought about med school or pharmacy school after I finish my phd but I still don't know what I would want to do with those degrees. I would like to have options because I get bored with things easily.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently pursuing my phd in pharmacology with about one year left after this year. I'm at a stand still because I don't know what type of job I want after I graduate. I know that I don't want to do a post doc(might as well get another degree). I want to have options if that makes any sense. Initially I was gonna do pharmd/phd but I don't know if that will even be worth doing. I would love to stay in the south for my career. I even thought about med school or pharmacy school after I finish my phd but I still don't know what I would want to do with those degrees. I would like to have options because I get bored with things easily.

what about doing a clinical chemistry fellowship and focusing on toxicology. only two more years after your phd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not try working for a pharmaceutical or drug development company? The Research Triangle (North Carolina) has a lot of those type of companies, GSK's US headquarter is there.
I thought about that but i heard they are more geared towards Masters students

what about doing a clinical chemistry fellowship and focusing on toxicology. only two more years after your phd.

can't give you exact numbers but all the fellows at my former institution (2 per year, going back quite a few years) have found good jobs upon completion. last years fellows had more openings to choose from than the previous years, but again all got good jobs. i'd say it's not outstanding but definitely much better than more traditional phd options. obviously you should check out the career path and talk to people doing it to make sure it'd be a good fit because it's not for everyone and quite different from what most are used to. lots wind up really enjoying it though.