What to expect Hospital ER Volunteering?

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My final interview to volunteer in a hospital emergency room is on Monday.

However, I had a few questions for people who have volunteered.

I've seen online all sorts of things that volunteers do, some of which seems to include;
- Paperwork
- Transferring Patients / Recovery / CT Scan / Petscan
- Bringing Food to Patients
- Folding Blankets, Bringing Blankets
- Cleaning Rooms
- (according to one source) 1/3 of the volunteers have gotten to preform CPR.
- Sitting Around
- Wondering Around the Hospital (lol) :)
- Being able to watch a few surgeries

I am interested in being able to do CPR and give my best assistance in any situations where needed. So I plan on conversing with the ER-Nurses and Doctors, especially when they ask why I'm here. I know when to shut up and just do what I'm told so I don't believe that'll be a problem. I've also talked to one nurse (outside of the hospital) she told me with time I may be trusted with more things and so on.

Do volunteers normally wear scrubs?

Any have any other recommendations or ideas on what I might be doing? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt a hospital would let a volunteer do CPR.... There are way too many people in the room during a code to begin with, much less adding another person who has no idea about what the hell they are doing. If you want hands on experience, work as a ER tech or EMT-B... they both get to do plenty of CPR.

I have never seen a volunteer wear scrubs... I think it would lead to confusion amongst the patients/families.

I highly doubt a hospital would let a volunteer do CPR.... There are way too many people in the room during a code to begin with, much less adding another person who has no idea about what the hell they are doing. If you want hands on experience, work as a ER tech or EMT-B... they both get to do plenty of CPR.

I have never seen a volunteer wear scrubs... I think it would lead to confusion amongst the patients/families.
I already planned on getting my EMT-A after high school. I suppose I was hoping to get an opportunity or two to assist in life saving intervention such as an OPA or CPR as I'm certified for CPR, but that's probably for EMT-B's as well. Never know when the Emergency Room will be quiet, other times potentially lots of patients and what not going around. My initial hope is to meet lots of doctors and nurses, get my name out there and ultimately get some experience under my belt. I've seen different talks about volunteers wearing scrubs, primarily on surgurical floors or the recovery unit. Anyhow, thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
No scrubs unless you're specifically told to wear them. Wear dress pants and a nice shirt.

As for CPR...that's not going to happen as a volunteer. It doesn't matter if you're certified - so is every doctor, nurse, and medical student in the ED. The difference is that they're covered by malpractice insurance while you're not.

Overall, expect to fill folders with paper, run to and from the pharmacy, bring patients warm blankets, fetch wheelchairs, and run other general errands. You'll have some time to talk with doctors and nurses now and then, but don't overstep - if they're busy, get out of the way. Being an ED volunteer is not the most fun or useful thing in the world, but it'll give you an introduction to medicine and that's more than most high school students have.

Reactions: 1 user
I volunteered at a hospital ER for a while, your hospital might be different, but here's my experience:

- We wore a hospital volunteer shirt (we had to buy for 20 bucks) with white pants and white shoes
- Duties: restock and refill coffee at the different stations, restock blankets in blanket warmers, restock supplies in rooms, and walking around do the different waiting rooms to offer refreshments to people sitting there.
-I also waited in the emergency room and helped to guide people into their rooms after they have been admitted, or bring guests into patients' rooms after I've restocked everything.
-We were not allowed to do anything hands on with patients (it's a liability thing, even if you do have the training)
-We were allowed to watch while SOME emergency cases were being treated. In the hospital I volunteered at, you hear an announcement when the ambulance with an emergency case is being brought in and you can go the room and stand in the back and watch, unless they ask you to leave.

In my hospital, the ED and surgical department are in different parts of the hospital so I didn't get to watch surgeries. I also didn't do paperwork or clean the rooms. They have people to do all of that. My main duties were restocking and transportation. Sometime you do see some interesting cases some in, but most of the time it's colds, flu, upper respiratory infection, etc etc. Nothing like the TV shows haha. But I think that also depends on when you are there and how lucky you get with your cases. I've heard some crazy stories from the RNs and techs there.
Good luck with your volunteering!

I volunteered at a hospital ER for a while, your hospital might be different, but here's my experience:

- We wore a hospital volunteer shirt (we had to buy for 20 bucks) with white pants and white shoes
- Duties: restock and refill coffee at the different stations, restock blankets in blanket warmers, restock supplies in rooms, and walking around do the different waiting rooms to offer refreshments to people sitting there.
-I also waited in the emergency room and helped to guide people into their rooms after they have been admitted, or bring guests into patients' rooms after I've restocked everything.
-We were not allowed to do anything hands on with patients (it's a liability thing, even if you do have the training)
-We were allowed to watch while SOME emergency cases were being treated. In the hospital I volunteered at, you hear an announcement when the ambulance with an emergency case is being brought in and you can go the room and stand in the back and watch, unless they ask you to leave.

In my hospital, the ED and surgical department are in different parts of the hospital so I didn't get to watch surgeries. I also didn't do paperwork or clean the rooms. They have people to do all of that. My main duties were restocking and transportation. Sometime you do see some interesting cases some in, but most of the time it's colds, flu, upper respiratory infection, etc etc. Nothing like the TV shows haha. But I think that also depends on when you are there and how lucky you get with your cases. I've heard some crazy stories from the RNs and techs there.
Good luck with your volunteering!
They actually re-assigned me to the surgical department! So I'm hopeful to try and see what opportunities can arise, thanks for the comment. :)

I volunteered for years before coming into medical school. One of the best things I asked every day was, "How can I help out?"

It could be something small or large, but always make yourself available for what could be happening. In an ER or Surgical ward, it could either be hectic or calm.

Also take some time to learn. If you connect with a particular professional there (it doesn't have to just be a doctor), ask them about something you're curious about. You may not be able to ask about particular patient details due to confidentiality, but if you see an X ray or procedure done and have questions about it, take this as a chance to learn. I wouldn't ask in the middle of a code!

And just enjoy yourself. Talk to patients if you can, see if you can get them anything or help them in any way. If the room feels cold, ask if they're warm enough. It's little things, but little things add up to a lot and at the end of the day you can leave feeling good.

I volunteered for years before coming into medical school. One of the best things I asked every day was, "How can I help out?"

It could be something small or large, but always make yourself available for what could be happening. In an ER or Surgical ward, it could either be hectic or calm.

Also take some time to learn. If you connect with a particular professional there (it doesn't have to just be a doctor), ask them about something you're curious about. You may not be able to ask about particular patient details due to confidentiality, but if you see an X ray or procedure done and have questions about it, take this as a chance to learn. I wouldn't ask in the middle of a code!

And just enjoy yourself. Talk to patients if you can, see if you can get them anything or help them in any way. If the room feels cold, ask if they're warm enough. It's little things, but little things add up to a lot and at the end of the day you can leave feeling good.
If I could select a best answer yours would definetely have it. :) Totally agree with you, the basics are some of the most important. It is the little things that count, I'd like to connect with a few different professionals, perhaps a year or two down the line seek out a letter of recommendation. But, I truly am there to learn and have the experience.