what to expect when shadowing a D.O?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihindash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found a D.O who would allow me to shadow him, one of his staff iss going to contact me after the holidays to schedule me, but I don't really know exectly what to expect, for those who done it, what were you involved in doing exactly, did you ask alot of questions, how many hours did you do per day, I'm confused, and I don't want to show up at his office not knowing exactly what I'm up for, can someone help me>?

Members don't see this ad.

ihindash said:
I just found a D.O who would allow me to shadow him, one of his staff iss going to contact me after the holidays to schedule me, but I don't really know exectly what to expect, for those who done it, what were you involved in doing exactly, did you ask alot of questions, how many hours did you do per day, I'm confused, and I don't want to show up at his office not knowing exactly what I'm up for, can someone help me>?

I didn't shadow a DO, but I did shadow my PA dermatologist, and I would imagine the private practice experience would be very similar.

I did two or three of her full shifts on the weekend. I showed up at the same time she did, and left when her day was over. I wore business casual - kahkis, polo shirt, no sneakers - but i was never told what I was suppose to wear. I was dressed better than most of the peopel working there. She would ask patients before I came in whether it was okay if a pre-med student observed, and most of the time it was no problem. I wouldn't go in if they were dealing with any sensitive areas.

When I went in I basically just stood against the wall I would see how she approached each problem, and because she had teaching experience she would explain some things. One time a patient even told her to explain something to me. Any time I had questions I would generally wait untill she was filling out the prescription to ask them. Sometimes I would ask questions while she was talking to the patient. You probably won't assist that much. I normally didn't do anything, and the one time she did ask me to get something out of a drawer I didn't know what she wanted. But I would hold things as she did her procedures.

I was a great experience for me, and you really shouldn't be nervous. If a doctor wasn't a nice guy, then he wouldn't let you shadow him. It helped me eliminate dermatology from my list.

Right now I'm trying to find a D.O. to shadow and hopefully work in the office too. (Classes, shadowing and a job is a little much for each day) I e-mailed the New York Osteopathic Medical Society and NYCOM (which is very close to my house). I also used a local hospital's physician database to find DO's in the field I'm interested in and are also close by. Hopefully they'll let me work their office over the summer. I feel kind of weird just approaching them and asking though since I've never met them.

Hmm where do I start? When I shadowed a FM DO it was awesome. The first day was scary because I didnt know what to expect also. I went into the office prepared to explain and defend my goal to practice medicine. (Discuss grades, MCAT's, and everything else on earth) He didnt ask anything like that. Just common conversational stuff (where u from, what school i wanted to go too, specialty?)

After 10 minutes of talking he proceeded to say "oh yea I have a patient". I went into the exam room with him and saw my first Pap Smear less than 30 minutes with him. Fun Times.

Long story short..I shadowed this D.O. One to Two Times a week about 3-4 hours a day for two months. After 1 month I went out to Pharmaceutical Sales Rep Meetings with him and had free 4 course meals. He even ordered me drinks...once again Fun Times.

Then I asked him for a letter of recommendation. He told me to write it myself and put his name on the bottom. ::My reaction... :eek: :: WHAT! Thats so wrong on so many levels...either way I did it.

I brought him the letter one/two weeks later. He read it and laughed. "You can toot your own horn pretty hard can't ya?" Then he discarded the letter and said that was a test. (To explain my strengths in a coherent form so when I have an interview I would rock it)

I'm not sure how many other people actually get to shadow a Doctor as down to earth as the one I did, but if you are in the Virginia area..PM me and I can give u info.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: I shadowed a DO over the summer. Mostly it involved me taking his escallade to the car wash twice a week and buying his groceries. One time a bird flew into the office and I got to catch it. I'd be doing these odd and ends around the office and if something cool came in he called me into the room. I did a lot of filing, too.

i shadow a DO cardiologist (eletrophys). For me, its the same as shadowing an MD. theres not much OMT in cardio (har). I go in, follow him around like a pack mule, and get introduced to patients. Occasionally he asks me stuff. I respond. Its pretty much a lot of observing. I guess shadowing is radically different from place to place.