What to expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndicate101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally found a professor that is willing to let me on board with his research projects. He knows I have no prior research experience as well as only taking rudimentary classes such as bio, and chem. (No upper levels yet). What should I expect? How often will I come across a situation while participating in research that my lack of experience and knowledge in upper level sciences will make me a liability? (This is my first time doing research. I have absolutely no idea what to expect)

Members don't see this ad.

So I finally found a professor that is willing to let me on board with his research projects. He knows I have no prior research experience as well as only taking rudimentary classes such as bio, and chem. (No upper levels yet). What should I expect? How often will I come across a situation while participating in research that my lack of experience and knowledge in upper level sciences will make me a liability? (This is my first time doing research. I have absolutely no idea what to expect)

You absolutely do not need to have upper level sciences background to start doing research. The majority of your training in the beginning will be to master your technique with the protocols and reduce careless errors. Once you have a good grasp over that, you may be assigned your own project that will be using those techniques you learned to investigate something new. At that point, you can self teach yourself the science behind the techniques you're using as well as the science behind the type of research you will be doing.

I find that upper level science courses cover a whole lot of material that you won't actually need to know to do research in a particular field. Remember that, the further you go up, the more you will know about less things. Research is about as much depth over breadth as you get.

A lot of labs like to make it a requirement to take upper level sciences before they take you on because either:

1) They're lazy about teaching you.
2) They get too many applicants and they want to do some filtering out.
3) All of the above.

Reactions: 1 users
You absolutely do not need to have upper level sciences background to start doing research. The majority of your training in the beginning will be to master your technique with the protocols and reduce careless errors. Once you have a good grasp over that, you may be assigned your own project that will be using those techniques you learned to investigate something new. At that point, you can self teach yourself the science behind the techniques you're using as well as the science behind the type of research you will be doing.

I find that upper level science courses cover a whole lot of material that you won't actually need to know to do research in a particular field. Remember that, the further you go up, the more you will know about less things. Research is about as much depth over breadth as you get.

A lot of labs like to make it a requirement to take upper level sciences before they take you on because either:

1) They're lazy about teaching you.
2) They get too many applicants and they want to do some filtering out.
3) All of the above.

Did you do research for credit also? Do you recommend doing so? I wouldn't want to be pressured while doing research to get an A at the end of the semester.

Members don't see this ad :)

Actually doing the grunt work doesn't usually require anything more than basic knowledge beforehand, unless you work in a simulation lab or sorts.
Just ton of practice.

As for the actual research itself?
You'll learn the ropes once you start reading the scientific literature. You'll be able to piece things through once you start reading several articles.

My advice:

Start looking at some of the procedures you will be doing in the lab. Try and find resources online (like youtube) that'll teach you the gist of the procedure. That way, you'll be more confident in the lab.

Did you do research for credit also? Do you recommend doing so? I wouldn't want to be pressured while doing research to get an A at the end of the semester.

Why not? It's free credit. I don't think there's a strong recommendation one way or another, but if you have the opportunity to get some credits while doing research you would otherwise be doing, I don't see why you would turn that down.

I don't do research for credit, but my school only allows research for credit graded on a P/F system. We can't get a grade for it. If your school grades it, then think about how much effort you want to put in. What I love about research as a volunteer job is that it's flexible around midterms and finals. I have no idea if that will change if you're being graded on it.

Undergraduate directed research went towards my science GPA. : P