What to keep from Step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsu1000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having no idea about what is tested on Step II, do I need to keep any resources from Step I?? Pharm cards? Robbins review? Notes?

Should I just discard this stuff and start over for Step II with new resources?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually still use my First Aid. There were times in third year and during studying for step 2 where a topic came up and I would recall a very simple chart or mnemonic in first aid on that topic that I would review.

scholes said:
I actually still use my First Aid. There were times in third year and during studying for step 2 where a topic came up and I would recall a very simple chart or mnemonic in first aid on that topic that I would review.

I wouldn't sell my First Aid for even $200. I know I can find a ton of information in that book that would take me hours searching elsewhere. I plan to re-read it prior to taking Step 2. It's all fundamentals in clinical practice that were built in the basic sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't need anything from step 1. gave mine all away immediately afterward. My step 2, as most others, had about 5 step 1 type of questions.

you'll get all you need from your step 2 review books and clinicals of which there are a thousand recommendations on this site.

later

12R34Y said:
You won't need anything from step 1. gave mine all away immediately afterward. My step 2, as most others, had about 5 step 1 type of questions.

you'll get all you need from your step 2 review books and clinicals of which there are a thousand recommendations on this site.

later

I do not agree with this completely. Whereas there were not very many basic science questions, there were a lot of questions on my exam that covered topics in first aid, such as clinical immunology (immunodeficiency syndromes/complement deficiencies and hematologic disorders) and clinical pharmacology (treatment of choice and side effects). It is also a good review for biostats equations.

I would never ever recommend rereading first aid prior to step 2. This would be a horrible idea. Nor would I recommend buying first aid for step 1 as a study guide for step 2 if you didn't already have it. But the OP asked if he/she should keep any resources from step 1 around. If your options are throwing the book out, selling it (with all the extra writing in mine, no one would want to buy it), or keeping it on the shelf, I would definately choose keeping it on the shelf. The small amount of space it takes up is worth the dozen times you may look at it during third and fourth year. Plus, the people that used first aid as much as I did (I read through it 3-4 times prior to step 1), you know exactly where stuff is in the book and it is a lot easier to find that info compared to a huge textbook.

thanx for the info.
What about like pharm questions asking what drug to give, or micro asking what bug is causing the illness?
I have a bunch of flashcards like that.

My point is that all of those immunodeficiencies and complement disorders and pharm side effects (of which Boards and wards has an exhaustive toxicology and pharmacology side effect chapter) are all going to be covered adequately in your step 2 review books.

later

12R34Y said:
My point is that all of those immunodeficiencies and complement disorders and pharm side effects (of which Boards and wards has an exhaustive toxicology and pharmacology side effect chapter) are all going to be covered adequately in your step 2 review books.

later

Immunodefs and genetics were not adequately covered in kaplan lecture notes or FA.

shorrin said:
Immunodefs and genetics were not adequately covered in kaplan lecture notes or FA.
Agreed, thank god I was a cell and molecular bio major in college....

Anywho, keep what you want. I didn't even use 1st aid so I don't know if I would have kept it, but I do know i didn't keep anything I used. All I used was the kaplan lecture notes.

One of the reasons that it may not be covered in that much detail is that your step 2 will have very little basic science immunology/genetics on it. therefore no need to cover it hugely in review.

the bulk of the test is major disease/prevention/treatment of common acute and chronic problems........not many bizzarre zebras about genetics and such.

keep what you want.
you'll probably find that you'll be so overwhelmed with the plethora of step 2 review material that you won't be finding too much time to pick up first aid for step 1, but that's just a guess.

good luck