What to Major In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MajorTrouble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm terribly confused about what I should major in during my undergrads. I took the SAT Subject Tests and got 790 in Biology (M) and 800 in Chemistry. I also got 2100 on the Reasoning test. Now I was thinking of majoring in Biochemistry; I really like the idea of learning more about the biological reactions controlling life. But I've heard that it's a really tough subject and I'm not sure whether I can handle it or not. There is really one way to find out, by actually giving it a try, but I was wondering whether my test scores are any indication for people actually familiar with Biochem. By the way, I intend to go to med school after my undergrads, so will Biochem help with that? Exactly how useful will it be for the MCATs?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in anything you like as long as you satisfy the pre reqs. Will depend on the individual. But why exactly do you think you can handle medical school if you can't complete a biochem major...? Might as well get use to the hard stuff

Major in whatever it is you really enjoy, because in all honesty, in the end it doesn't matter. Just take the prereq's and take some interesting Bio's for upper division electives that you will see in MS (biochem, histo, anatomy, pharmacology, microbiology, immunology).

Members don't see this ad :)
@natg101 I suppose you're right. But just to be clear, I didn't say that I CAN handle med school... I was just asking whether by looking at my scores, one can tell if I can handle biochem or not. Thanks though!
@Catman21 Oh, I get it. Thanks!

Major in what you like..

Reactions: 1 user
My best advice to you - I'm assuming you are in high school? - is to take your first semester first year and take all course that you would have never had a chance to take before.

Break out of the Math, English, Science, Social Studies, Language schedule! (though if you need x number of years of a language to graduate, then maybe take a language after all :) )

Fill your first semester with courses that you never had a chance to take before that you are interested in: political science, sociology, computer science, classical studies, economics, astronomy, poetry, anything! The worst mistake I saw first-years make year after year (I volunteer at schedule planning during first-year orientation) was that they took something like intro bio, calculus, spanish, and maybe history. How boring is that?! How can you possibly find out what you are interested in if you limit your experiences?

The wonderful thing about being a first-year at a college is that you really can take anything you want. Anything you take is likely to either count towards your major or otherwise satisfy some general graduation requirement. There will be plenty of time to take all your science courses. There will be plenty of time to take all your major courses. Don't be limited in your choice of major to subjects you have already experienced. When else in your life will you be able to take a linguistics course just because? Take advantage of the opportunities around you and good luck ;)

Edit: if you can't tell, I'm incredibly nostalgic and jealous of the academic freedom you have :yeahright:

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I am in high school, senior year. From what you said, it's become really clear to me that I have plenty of time (the first semester at the very least) to decide on a major. I'll be sure to keep that in mind, and also look around and really discover what I like! Thank you! :)

Yeah I am in high school, senior year. From what you said, it's become really clear to me that I have plenty of time (the first semester at the very least) to decide on a major. I'll be sure to keep that in mind, and also look around and really discover what I like! Thank you! :)

I'll give you this caveat though: if you go to some technical schools, I know this is true for RPI and MIT for sure, it can be pretty hard to switch your major after your first year. If you go to a liberal arts college like I did, you can still complete a major from scratch if you start at the end of your sophomore year. In fact, my school didn't even request that you declare a major until Spring of your sophomore year. Even then, you could still change your major/minor whenever. I declared a minor September of senior year.

I'm sure state schools are somewhere in the middle, though plenty of my friends at other schools changed majors junior year.

Yeah major in anything that interests you. But don't get caught up on the whole, "I will double major in Chem E and physics to impress med schools." I find that these pre-meds just burn out and it tanks there GPA unnecessarily. Your scores seem real high-so you're definitely smart. If you are set on med school maybe major in some kind of social science that interests you and then take the pre-reqs. This is an advantage because med schools recently are more attracted to social science majors, and it will give you more time to focus and KILL your pre-reqs! If you major in biochem you will take upper level classes that make the med school pre-reqs seem LAUGHABLE. If you are really smart and can still pull a 3.6+ GPA in biochem or any engineering major I assume you will have no problem in med school! But if it tanks your gap or even puts it below a 3.5 I don't think it is worth it to roll with such a difficult major. So maybe take some BME classes and feel it out, but remember the bottom line with med schools is stats. So keep that GPA at a 3.6+! Goodluck

College is a fresh start for many. I did poorly in high school, and my scores then do not even remotely reflect my grades and MCAT now. Major on what you find interesting. If you're willing, you'll study the materials.

And biochemistry (Among others) may seem very difficult now (and it is), but a lot of that is just due to the fact that you have not learned the topics yet. They will not toss you into the fire. You'll start with the basics and work your way up.

Good luck!

I heard Biochemistry was really challenging too, but I went ahead and majored in it anyway. It was a tough road, but I would never change it if I could go back. Lots of studying and long nights, but worth it (cGPA 3.71). It was an amazing major and I learned so much, and I had fun along the way, too. You really get into the depths of how life works, it was a great experience learning. I definitely recommend it, and you won't be sorry if you major in it. But, like everyone said, do whatever interest you, because if you hate it, you won't do well in it. Good luck with whatever you choose!