What to put on a chipped tooth when waiting to see a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crimson1566

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at a pharmacy and have customers come in every now and then asking what they can do in the mean time now that they've broken their tooth. Just leave it or can then cover it with dental wx for braces or that stuff for lost fillings? What should i tell them?

Members don't see this ad.

I work at a pharmacy and have customers come in every now and then asking what they can do in the mean time now that they've broken their tooth. Just leave it or can then cover it with dental wx for braces or that stuff for lost fillings? What should i tell them?
You can recommend either of those. They may or may not work very well depending on the circumstances of a given patient, but it won't make anything worse in the short-term. Just tell them they NEED to get to a dentist to have it fixed properly, because otherwise it's very likely to develop problems quickly.

thanks, i wasn't sure if either would cause problems

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also heard some dentists suggest sugar free chewing gum...Sounds disgusting, but it can help with the sensitivity and keep more food from getting jammed between the teeth. But they definitely need to get to a dentist asap, or the tooth could get worse and make treatment more complicated.

for a back tooth, i would recommend the stuff you said that you have for lost fillings. that contains zinc oxide eugenol (ZOE) which can help calm the nerve inside the pulp. the ZOE also hardens so it will last a bit longer than wax. for front teeth, you can use the wax as a way to smoothen a sharp edge which is irritating the tongue. like other posters say, recommend they see a dentist ASAP.

I work at a pharmacy during summer to pay my bills and I've had this woman asking me if her husband could put Krazy Glue to fix his broken teeth.

While I strongly advice against. She still bought some because "she needed some anyway"...

Some crazy stories happens there...

I work at a pharmacy during summer to pay my bills and I've had this woman asking me if her husband could put Krazy Glue to fix his broken teeth.

While I strongly advice against. She still bought some because "she needed some anyway"...

Some crazy stories happens there...

GEE!!! This is crazy! Tight budget or what?

for a back tooth, i would recommend the stuff you said that you have for lost fillings. that contains zinc oxide eugenol (ZOE) which can help calm the nerve inside the pulp. the ZOE also hardens so it will last a bit longer than wax. for front teeth, you can use the wax as a way to smoothen a sharp edge which is irritating the tongue. like other posters say, recommend they see a dentist ASAP.

This guy has it figured out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_v0pQF1INo

I just had a patient Krazy glued two fractured Class 4 old composites onto #8 and #9. She further connected the two fillings/teeth together with more Crazy glue for strength. It looked weird but it worked.

I super glued a broken composite on #8 back into my own mouth since I couldn't get in to get it fixed for about a week. I think I knocked it out a few times grinding my teeth while I was asleep but I never lost or swallowed it so I guess it worked out fine. People couldn't really tell that it was glued in unless they looked very closely.

I just had a patient Krazy glued two fractured Class 4 old composites onto #8 and #9. She further connected the two fillings/teeth together with more Crazy glue for strength. It looked weird but it worked.

One time I chipped a real little piece off of my front tooth.
Had it fixed for $500, and it lasted a year.
Finally came off, and I had just been laid off so was broke.
I tried to crazy glue the piece back on and it was just too small.
But while doing it, I noticed that the crazy glue had filled in the little
spot on the corner and sure enough became hard and was a
great temporary fix. Like I said, I needed a job and couldnt get to
a dentist. Again, this was a no pain or infection situation, a simple chip. Amazingly I could eat with it too. It last about a month or two. Then I would notice it came off and I just spit it out and reapplied.
It helped when I needed it. So not a permanent fix but when your
desperate and dont want the chip showing. Might work. Apply a little
drop to like a tweezer and then fill in the little area with the drop on the tweezer, blow dry and any extra or if you got any on your other tooth just scrap it off with a finger nail. Hey Im not saying its the greatest but you know I actually saw where crazy glue was first invented for possible dental use, only to find it didnt hold enough. So I wouldnt use it for anything else in your mouth.
Next how to fix an abcess with a hammer and a nail... Just kidding
ofcourse ;)

Super glue works great for veneer temps in a pinch. Just use a little!

Status
Not open for further replies.