What to talk about during office hours? (Biology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fighter127

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm currently taking intro bio at my uni( lectures are 1000+ people) and I wanted to start going to office hours to get a better grasp of the material we are going to be tested on. We just had our first a midterm and it was honestly harder than i expected so i want to try to prepare better for next time. Anyways what do i say when i go in? I've never really gone to office hours before and wouldn't know what to ask in order to maximize my time and get the most benefit. Should i ask him questions on lecture material? What to focus on for exams? If anyone has any tips I would greatly appreciate it! I don't want to go in there clueless and then have him be annoyed or standoffish towards me

Members don't see this ad.

1. Clarification about the lecture if you have a specific part of the subject you're struggling on.
2. Problems in the book that you had an issue with. (and you have to show that you attempted the problem)
3. Ask about problems that you got wrong on the test (and again, you have to show that you have at least attempted the problem).

All in all, be clear and direct about what your intentions are for using his office hours. Don't be that guy that soaks up office hour time and asks really simple questions in an attempt to butter the professor up for a LOR (because I've seen it all too often...). Get in, get out. Sort of like a one night stand.

Study and know the material beforehand, go in and ask questions about ambiguous concepts, connections across different concepts