What to wear to White Coat Ceremony?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFlower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I apologize for the possibly redundant post (thought I saw one regarding this not too long ago)--but was wondering what is appropriate wear to the White Coat Ceremony? Does everyone wear their suits, or just business casual wear?

Thanks so much for your input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Our school sent us an email about this. At our ceremony, guys should wear a shirt and tie and ladies should wear a nice skirt or pants. I think the idea is to not wear a suit coat so you have room to put on your new white coat.

sandg said:
Our school sent us an email about this. At our ceremony, guys should wear a shirt and tie and ladies should wear a nice skirt or pants. I think the idea is to not wear a suit coat so you have room to put on your new white coat.

yeah this definitely makes sense, eh? don't wear a suit coat

Members don't see this ad :)
DrFlower said:
Hello all,

I apologize for the possibly redundant post (thought I saw one regarding this not too long ago)--but was wondering what is appropriate wear to the White Coat Ceremony? Does everyone wear their suits, or just business casual wear?

Contrary to popular belief, don't wear a white coat TO the event.

Otherwise, you'll be fine if you wear slacks/shirt/tie, no jacket needed.

pharmer said:
banana hammock and tie. What else do you need...the white coat will cover just fine

Other possibilities:

Powder blue tux, dumb and dumber style

Assless chaps

Canadian tuxedo (full denim suit)

Or you could fashion yourself a velcro break-away suit, you know, just to keep people on their toes as you go up to recieve your coat.

DrFlower said:
Hello all,

our white coats were given to us at the ceremony itself and put on us by various faculty of the medical school. no need to wear a suit, as long as you look nice. i.e. don't show up wearing nothing but a french tickler.

As a performance artist, I recommend wearing saran wrap and filling your mouth with cocktail weiners.

wear everything you own. literally. but go commando.

heldicus said:

I would highly recommend going in the night before and changing your name to Mike Hawk on the cue card that the announcer will use.

heldicus said:
haahahhaah...so that's what they do in cincy

May I suggest pulling a Yossarian:

yossarian.jpg

heldicus said:

LOL LOL that was on of the funniest Friends episodes of all time!!!

bigfrank said:
Contrary to popular belief, don't wear a white coat TO the event.

Haha, I actually laughed out loud at this...its actually popular belief?

pharmer said:
banana hammock and tie. What else do you need...the white coat will cover just fine

That's hunter green banana hammock.

Electrophys said:
Haha, I actually laughed out loud at this...its actually popular belief?

LOL, I was wondering the same thing! That would be pretty goofy, but entertaining. :)

Keep your skirts on the longer side if you decide to forego pants. Short skirts with white coats just look *wrong* :)

burlypie said:
Keep your skirts on the longer side if you decide to forego pants. Short skirts with white coats just look *wrong* :)

Reminds me of the Cake (the band) song, "I want a girl with a short skirt and a loooooooooong jacket!"

Damn dont you people have any decency!!!
Hijacking this poor guys thread like that. :eek:
This kind of childish behavior belongs in the lounge!

So going back to the original question, wear high heals, a tight mini skirt and something that would show your belly button. If you are a girl then go with whatever you find hanging in your closet.

Mr. Adventure said:
I would highly recommend going in the night before and changing your name to Mike Hawk on the cue card that the announcer will use.
Mike Hunt is a bit more of a classic.