what to wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iaptgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide what to wear to my physical therapy interview. Does one have to wear a suit? Would a really nice cardigan with a nice shirt and black pants be ok? Are they going to judge me if I am not wearing a suit? Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is easy: Literally call/email the admissions person and ask what to wear. Don't let what you wear be a stress, just call and ask, they are more than willing to tell you what to wear. That's what I did for all my interviews. Most of them want suits.

I am trying to decide what to wear to my physical therapy interview. Does one have to wear a suit? Would a really nice cardigan with a nice shirt and black pants be ok? Are they going to judge me if I am not wearing a suit? Thanks for your input!

This question has come up on here repeatedly, so you'll find a few other threads if you search. IMO, wear a suit. For job and school interviews, it is never even a question for me, interview=suit. If you really feel like you are overdressed after arriving, you can always take off the jacket. You will not be "judged" as long as you are dressed professionally, but you may be the only person not wearing one. Not a big deal, but why not look as professional as you can? If you don't already have one, just pick a classic style that will still work for you when you're applying for jobs in a couple years!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are several recent threads about dressing for an interview, if you want to search those. You can also call the department.

Treat it as a job interview. If you have a suit, wear one. As posted, if you feel overdressed, you can take it off. If you don't have one, you can wear nice slacks, dress shirt and cardigan. As long as you look "professional," you're good to go.

Good luck in the interview!

Last edited:
At my interviews most people wore suits. There were a few slacks/blouse, slacks/cardigan sets. As long as you look professional, I would hope they wouldn't judge you on not wearing a suit. The faculty also had a range of styles at both schools, from suits to some definitely out of the 80s outfits, Bill Cosby sweaters, etc. To each there own.