What type of research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rushmore16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my freshman year on my way to a bachelors in Kinesiology and got accepted into an exercise performance and physiology lab studying the effects of exercise on pregnant women. How valuable would this type of research be on a medical school application? And yes, I may have the opportunity to get my name published somewhere down the road. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

At the medical school application level, as long as you're not applying MD/PhD, they mostly care about whether you have been exposed to the scientific method and hypothesis-driven research. You need to be able to reason scientifically and that's what research experience is supposed to give you. It's not so much which scientific field you do the research in as much as what you learned from it. If you're applying MD/PhD, a paper would definitely be very helpful although not necessarily required but MD/PhD programs will expect more research experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished my freshman year on my way to a bachelors in Kinesiology and got accepted into an exercise performance and physiology lab studying the effects of exercise on pregnant women. How valuable would this type of research be on a medical school application? And yes, I may have the opportunity to get my name published somewhere down the road.
How valuable it will be depends on your role and your overall understanding of the project beyond your piece of it. What you've described has excellent potential. Do you know yet exactly what you'll be doing? Have you been given background papers to read to help you prepare?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know anything other than what I mentioned haha. I know the title of the position is a "research assistant". Anything past that, I'm not too sure about.

I don't know anything other than what I mentioned haha. I know the title of the position is a "research assistant". Anything past that, I'm not too sure about.
Do you have a contact person you might ask for copies of the research proposal (required to get funding) so you can start preparing?

If the team you are a part of is able to produce promising results, or at least make progress, I can only imagine that medical schools would value your experience. Keep in mind you have plenty of time to participate in the development of this project during your college career, and so it has the potential to become a valuable part of your application. Congratulations on getting a role btw!