What types of research count towards GME points for AF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowdon48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any set guidelines or does any form of published research count? I am working on a case report now with an attending at my school who plans to get it published in a journal when we are finished. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can't speak for the AF, but when I signed for Army HPSP with a MS in Chemistry and 6 years of research under my belt, it counted for exactly nothing. And I should clarify that my research was in pharmaceuticals and medical devices.

Can't speak for the AF, but when I signed for Army HPSP with a MS in Chemistry and 6 years of research under my belt, it counted for exactly nothing. And I should clarify that my research was in pharmaceuticals and medical devices.

The AF offers up to 2 bonus points on the GME application for published research done during medical school but they don't really give many details on what qualifies.

Members don't see this ad :)
The current link to scoring guidance on the AFMS Physician Education Website (http://www.airforcemedicine.af.mil/physicianeducationbranch/index.asp) is down so I'll attach what I have. from a couple years ago. Hopefully it hasn't changed. Look on this document under bonus points.

Thanks for posting that. It is still pretty vague though. Not to mention unbelievable that a good STEP 1 score can only earn you one extra point but research can earn two extra points (4 in some cases). I'm pretty sure a chimpanzee could have come up with a better system...oh well.

Anything you publish in medical school (to include a case for work in a throwaway medical journal) will count as research. At least that's the way it was when I was applying.