What useful medical apps do residents use on their smart devices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we make a list of good/reliable medical apps that are used by residents?

Members don't see this ad.

Things I use everyday
Epocrates
MedCalc
Pharmacopoeia
UpToDate
Hopkins ABX guide
Orthobullets.com (saved webpage)

I have the Sanford Guide app which I find a lot more convenient than carrying the book around. It has an annual subscription fee, but I rationalize this since it's the same as buying a new copy of the book every year. And while it often feels like you need a fellowship just to use the book properly, the app is really very straightforward and has nice links to references.

Agree w/ Galactus (except the Ortho one)

I'll put in a plug for UCSF's handbook (basically the Pocket Medicine book in electronic format, although different institutions)

Only $20. Well arranged, easy navigation. Still refer to it as an attending (but don't tell my patients that) :)

http://www.agilemd.com/ucsf-hospitalist-handbook/

There is also one called Diagnosaurus which gives you a DDx when you out in a symptom. Can be helpful on long days when you want to make sure you are not missing something ($2)

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/medical/diagnosaurus/index.html

Reactions: 1 user
cool thanks,

any free ones? :hardy:

Medscape
Qx Calculate
ASCVD Risk Calculator
Also, there are a number of useful other books/resources available via the Agile MD app.

Jonathan

I'm in IM but I really do like the EMRA Antibiotic Handbook. It's a LOT simpler than the sanford or hopkins guides and it will be good enough for me to pick an empiric treatment 90++% of the time. No yearly subscription fee necessary, just a one time purchase.

I'm in IM but I really do like the EMRA Antibiotic Handbook. It's a LOT simpler than the sanford or hopkins guides and it will be good enough for me to pick an empiric treatment 90++% of the time. No yearly subscription fee necessary, just a one time purchase.

Have you used the sanford guide app? I'm trying to decide which one to get

PalmPedi and 10 Second EM are awesome. (FM resident here but these were recommended by EM and peds attendings and they are spot on.) going to check out the hospitalist handbook too.
I use epocrates, Uptodate and Sanford guide apps every day...multiple times a day.

Reactions: 1 user
PalmPedi and 10 Second EM are awesome. (FM resident here but these were recommended by EM and peds attendings and they are spot on.) going to check out the hospitalist handbook too.
I use epocrates, Uptodate and Sanford guide apps every day...multiple times a day.

Unfortunately, 10 Second EM hasn't been updated in years. If you have $4-5 available, consider ERRes instead. WikEM is good, too.