What was ever the consensus on comparing the old mcat scores to new?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing a lot of conflicting ideas about comparing old scores to new. First I read that 500 = 25, 510 = 30. Then I read that scores were initially going to be lower than average and that 500 did not equal 25. Now I'm reading that you're borderline mentally challenged if you're <502

I took the old mcat and got a 27. I retook it a few years later and just got a 500. I'm just wondering on a scale of 1-destroyed, how badly did I get destroyed on this thing? A 500 means nothing to me other than knowing that I did not perform well at all. Unless I'm interpreting this incorrectly, I was at least consistently bad and got the same score in each section, so no good and bad sections, just all bad. Yay for optimism

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing that is certain about these new scores is that 500 = 50th percentile (or something close to it). Adcoms will most likely be comparing old vs. new using percentiles, not scores, at least until everyone figures out what the deal is with the new MCAT.

Unfortunately, to be considered a competitive applicant for at least the lower tier MD schools, you really need to score at least in the 75th percentile. :/ But provided the rest of your application is competitive, you have a shot at DO!

The medical school I want to attend states directly in their MCAT section that they will correlate the new MCAT percentiles with the old MCAT percentiles to gather how competitive each individual is. So, thus implies that they are indirectly converting the new MCAT score (since they are also based on percentiles) to the old MCAT scores.

What dickbag is out there saying you're borderline mentally challenged if you scored under 502?

Members don't see this ad :)
What dickbag is out there saying you're borderline mentally challenged if you scored under 502?

I just saw a random comment saying that on here. I don't think it's a generally accepted thought, someone just said it on here and it stuck out to me.

Bummer my score is so bad. Cya MD

OP, what state do you live in? If you are in a state where there are low-tier schools that are very friendly to instate applicants, you might have a chance at an instate MD (depending on GPA and other factors). Other than that, you should be looking at DO.