What was tested on the MCAT 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdog2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the fellow pre-meds who have already taken the new MCAT, which subjects were tested? Which subjects did you struggle with? I want to see how much the actual exams differ, and which areas I should focus on because they might show up again when I take it in Sept. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not permitted to post specifics. Why don't you check out the official AAMC guide to answer all of your questions.

Did the new AAMC practice exam look anything like the actual exam? Or did the actual exam mirror the AAMC study pack questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
To the fellow pre-meds who have already taken the new MCAT, which subjects were tested? Which subjects did you struggle with? I want to see how much the actual exams differ, and which areas I should focus on because they might show up again when I take it in Sept. Thanks!

Check out the compilation of commentary in my signature.

For me the sample AAMC was much easier than the real thing. Using the MCAT score predictor based off the official full length I was projected ~513. I got a 507. Each test may play up or play down your strengths and weaknesses! Just do as much practice as you can and crush it! (Specifics the CARS was much harder for me on the real deal)

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you do as much AAMC-created passages as possible for that section! :)
I've done every Khan Academy passage, AAMC sample test, and the online official guide questions (multiple times for each). My study partner recommended to do study pack questions but they look very dissimilar from the previously mentioned. Any suggestions?

For me the sample AAMC was much easier than the real thing. Using the MCAT score predictor based off the official full length I was projected ~513. I got a 507. Each test may play up or play down your strengths and weaknesses! Just do as much practice as you can and crush it! (Specifics the CARS was much harder for me on the real deal)
I've done every Khan Academy passage, AAMC sample test, and the online official guide questions (multiple times for each). My study partner recommended to do study pack questions but they look very dissimilar from the previously mentioned. Any suggestions?

I did the study packs they totally saved my ass on the physics section. Bio was a waste of time. The sections are just so different (in my opinion). Besides that just do as many FL tests under testing conditions as you can to build stamina! That's one thing that I feel I actually did right, test day just felt like "another day". Easy relaxed and routine.

I did the study packs they totally saved my ass on the physics section. Bio was a waste of time. The sections are just so different (in my opinion). Besides that just do as many FL tests under testing conditions as you can to build stamina! That's one thing that I feel I actually did right, test day just felt like "another day". Easy relaxed and routine.
Thank you for the gems. Just need CARS to match everything else. I hope on test day the vignettes remain clinically based. Thank you again

The CARS Q Packs from AAMC were most similar to what I saw on the exam, imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to retake? Was it only the CARS that was much harder on the real thing or was every section harder than the practice?

Not retaking! 507 is ~30 so I'm happy with that. Yeah cars and psych got me. But everyone is different '

Not retaking! 507 is ~30 so I'm happy with that. Yeah cars and psych got me. But everyone is different '

By the way, don't feel bad about the 513 projected score turning into a 507 on the actual. If you look at the old MCAT score percentile ranks, a 32 is 88th percentile (513 is 89th percentile), 29 is 73rd percentile (507 = 74th), and 30 is 79th (508 = 77th). So the general rule that your actual score will be +/- 2 of your practice still holds true (by the old scale, so now that rule is like +/- 7 or whatever).

Not bummed :) obviously I would've loved to reach my "full potential" but still happy i don't have to retake haha

Not bummed :) obviously I would've loved to reach my "full potential" but still happy i don't have to retake haha
judging by the kind of person you are, you'll still get into med school and be a great physician some day

Reactions: 1 users
judging by the kind of person you are, you'll still get into med school and be a great physician some day
Such kind words! Thank you so much. It feels strange, even though this is an anonymous Internet forum I appreciate your remarks. From the little bit I've gotten to know you as well I know you'll be amazing physician who has overcome a lot. You rock!

Reactions: 1 users
Such kind words! Thank you so much. It feels strange, even though this is an anonymous Internet forum I appreciate your remarks. From the little bit I've gotten to know you as well I know you'll be amazing physician who has overcome a lot. You rock!

ok guys hug and kiss now! lol

It's been a couple months and I cant say too much but I do remember

harmonics, electrostatics & mag, lots of enzyme stuff, some gas/liquid solubility and lots of molecular genetics.

The OG exam was pathetically easy compared to my real exam. The AAMC PT was closer, but the PT CARS was much easier than what I got.

Remember, each MCAT will be slightly different. What I saw may not be what you see at all. Check out the reddit threads to see some of the larger trends people have reported. The AAMC can control a lot of what is posted on SDN, but Reddit is much more open and anonymous. However, this anonymity means you should take much of what you see with some skepticism. Better than nothing though.

go forth and study!