What was your college major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allantois

Conversation Starter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what you guys majored in college and whether you wish you had majored in something else instead.

Members don't see this ad.

Biomed & Biotech w/ triple minor (lots of credits meld, two of my minors I get from taking required classes, the other is a topic I'm very passionate about)

Molecular and cell bio with a chemistry minor. I would've liked to do a humanities minor instead of chem, I took a linguistics course and thought it was a very interesting field. Or maybe philosophy. Enjoyed my major a lot though and would do it again

Members don't see this ad :)
Healthcare administration. I love it. It really helped me learn a lot about the business side of healthcare.

Biology. No regrets thus far, and not a lot of other options for me at my school.

Neuroscience. Really enjoyed it, it was a very tough major at my school but the brain is a fascinating subject.

Biology, with a minor in Chemistry.

Loved it! If I had to go back, I'd probably do a Biochemistry major with a focus on biology, and a minor in politics or psych. Those two (politics and psych) were a couple of the most enjoyable non-science courses I've taken in undergrad.

English. I wish I'd double majored in English and physics, but I didn't hop on the science wagon until pretty late in the game.

I majored in Spanish. I love science so sometimes I wish I majored in chemistry or neuroscience. I also find myself thinking about math or biological anthropology when I consider what I'd study if I could do it all again.

I'm really happy I had the chance to study Spanish, though. I studied abroad, lived with an amazing host family, made great friends and came out of college with a skill that will probably be pretty useful as a healthcare provider.

Reactions: 1 users
Religion and Biology.

If I could do it again, I would do math and physics or math and statistics

Mathematics! Minor in computer science. Long story short, no real regrets.

Biochemistry. Yeah, I often regretted it and wished I had switched to biology but sometimes some of the extra stuff I've learned that a bio major may not have has been helpful. If my school offered it, I would have switched to a microbiology major. I also wish I had done a Spanish double major or at least a minor.

It really helped me learn a lot about the business side of healthcare.
10ce11.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I also majored in Spanish and minored in chemistry.
The opportunities I had while working on my Spanish degree were great (like interpreting in the hospital), and I think they contributed to me getting as many acceptances as I did.
Plus, being fluent in Spanish can only help my chances at residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
Bio and spanish. if i could do it over again, i'd possibly do biochem because it was a harder major and our bio department is a little lacking... but then again the main biochem prof is a complete asshat.

Biophysics, minor in chemistry

If i had to do it again, i would've done applied mathematics and physics minor

I majored in Spanish. I love science so sometimes I wish I majored in chemistry or neuroscience. I also find myself thinking about math or biological anthropology when I consider what I'd study if I could do it all again.

I'm really happy I had the chance to study Spanish, though. I studied abroad, lived with an amazing host family, made great friends and came out of college with a skill that will probably be pretty useful as a healthcare provider.

I also majored in Spanish and minored in chemistry.
The opportunities I had while working on my Spanish degree were great (like interpreting in the hospital), and I think they contributed to me getting as many acceptances as I did.
Plus, being fluent in Spanish can only help my chances at residencies.

So surprised to see fellow Spanish majors on here! I majored in Spanish, though I wish I had double majored or minored in chemistry because I loved it so much. I was one of those obnoxious kids that actually loved organic chemistry. :p

Reactions: 2 users
Chemical & Biological Engineering major

Love it, I wouldn't ever switch.

So surprised to see fellow Spanish majors on here! I majored in Spanish, though I wish I had double majored or minored in chemistry because I loved it so much. I was one of those obnoxious kids that actually loved organic chemistry. :p

Me too!! I loved it so much I was a TA for it haha. My friends were like, wait, so you're a Spanish major who's TAing an orgo class and you want to be a doctor? How does that work? :p

Psychology and Microbiology. I enjoyed both, but I would love to add Neuroscience to that without replacing any.

Going to major in Neuroscience, it sucks because I love Bio, obviously, but if I didn't **** up my first two years, I'd major in something else (Poli Sci). Instead I just need to take as many science classes to raise that sGPA.

Public health with a minor in Spanish. I don't regret it at all- gave me a great perspective on health and really shaped my interests. Being a PH person has definitely helped me understand DO philosophies better!

Music Performance---I don't know if I regret it. I had quite a bit of unpleasant experiences in that industry haha, but I do love the art itself. Although if I could give my younger self advice, I'd probably tell her to major in math, physics, or chemistry because those ended up being some of my favorite classes now that I'm doing prereqs. Makes me wish I had the luxury/time to study some of these things more in depth, just to learn how the world works.

Brain, Behavior, and Cognitive Sciences. Yup, it's a mouthful.

Basically Biopsych though.

Biochemistry. Loved my biochem classes and learning the details of metabolism.

Integrative Biology. It was pretty standard, a little more macro scale than than the molecular/cell bio that most pre-meds went for, but I found it more interesting and enjoyable. If I could do it again I'd probably keep that but do a double major, something in the humanities.

Last edited:
Bio behavioral health. Got me where I wanted to go so no complaints!

Mathematics and Biochem :)

Neuroscience with a minor in psych. No regrets!

Psych with a chem minor. It's alright, but I should have stuck with music. I got cold feet after a premed advisor scared poor J Kohai into thinking that he'd have trouble getting into med school without a science major.
Music ---> Biology ---> (SDN knowledge) ---> Psychology

Music majors have to take like 132 credit hours which is 3-4 extra classes over most other majors, so I was too far along to switch. Sad face.

I'm also a Spanish major! I used to be Biology (Human Biology, Health and Society out be exact), but I changed to Spanish because that's my true passion.

Chem E BS, petroleum MS, minor bio E

Neuroscience with a Chem minor. I loved all my Neuro classes, but I wish I would have learned a language.

1st degree - Double major in Philosophy & History of Math and Science, minors in Classical Studies & Comparative Lit.
2nd degree- Biochem, no minors.

Don't regret anything.

Civil Engineering. No regrets.

Bioengineering. I liked it, but I wish I chose a major that didn't have as many required classes because I really wanted to take some more classes for fun, like a second language or more psychology classes.