What was your favorite class in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not limited to science/pre-med reqs...my favorite class was an upper division political science course I took (needed a random elective in order to graduate).

Favorite science (it also happened to be a pre-med req) was organic chemistry II <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Radiological physics and medical imaging for sure. Organic chemistry second.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Favorite non-science: Anthropology was super interesting

Science: Molecular Biology

Science: Biochemistry

Non-science: "Politics in US Diversity & Cultural Competence"

Last edited:
Favorite science: Galactic Dynamics and/or Cosmology (two different courses but closely linked)

Favorite nonscience: Game Theory (there's a lot of math but the applications in economics and political science were really profound)

Reactions: 1 users
Favorite: Organic, Physics, Computer MicroArchitecture

Least Favorite: All the biologies

Favorite science: Microbiology

Favorite non science: Golf

Favorite Science: Organic II
Favorite Non-science: Either Music theory or Literary theory

Immunology, an Honors course on food ethics, and The Science of Well-Being

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem and neurobiology.

Favorite: developmental biology
Least favorite: english

Favorite: Immunology

Least Favorite: Organic Chem

Favorite Science: Orgo

Favorite non-science: Calc II

But I'm a rising sophomore so I still have a lot of important classes left to take.

As a literature major, I took a course on Dante that was very eye-opening and changed the way I view him and his work. Bio was also great because we had multiple (and wacky) professors. :D So it's a tie.

I'm taking a comedy improv course next semester, though, so these favorites are subject to change.

Based on course content alone (because some of what I thought would be my worst classes were actually made better by the instructors)...

Science: Intro to Neuroscience, two case-study-based neuro courses I took close to the end of undergrad, Physics 1 (for some reason it interested me more than Physics 2...even though ultimately Physics 2 was more "relevant" to what I was studying)
Non-science: World music, literature course on picture media

Science: Analytical Chemistry
Non-science: Biomedical Ethics

Science: Anatomy

Non-science: History of England in the 19th century

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Favorite (can't pick one):
Radiation physics, exposure principles, evolutionary psychology, sensation and perception.

Hated: senior seminar in psychology. It was a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone who can, take a class that bridges between neuroscience and another discipline.

I took Neuro-religion and Neuro-sexuality and they were the two coolest classes of college.

Degree of myelination in the dorsal vs ventrail hypothalamic tracts can accurately predict degree of religious fundamentalism behaviors. So. Freaking. Cool.

Reactions: 5 users
Science: Organic 2 :D Biochem was also dope.

Non-science: US Presidents and War Policy. Another fave was Drug War Policy.

Favorite (can't pick one):
Radiation physics, exposure principles, evolutionary psychology, sensation and perception.

Hated: senior seminar in psychology. It was a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evo psych was awesome, but I've always questioned its basis just a little bit :nailbiting:

Astrophysics and Nuclear Physics. I just love high level physics classes

Microbiology and tennis

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Cancer Biology or Chemistry

Comparative vertebrate anatomy. It was a combined lecture and lab. In lecture we studied vertebrate evolution in detail with each body area/system, going from agnathan to human. In lab we dissected a shark and a cat and compared anatomical features.

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

Source? Sounds interesting.

Don't have it unfortunately :( I took the class a few years ago and was never savy enough to check out the primary sources at the time.

But as I recall it had something to do with the dorsal thalamus being involved in stress modulation through repetitive, "ritualistic" thought processes/behaviors similar to those seen in OCD. I'll go hunt for the source...

Took Math in Sports for a January term course. Watched sports and studied box scores for a whole month. It was awesome.

We had a cross disciplinary course taught by microbiology and history faculty about HIV history that I took my last semester. We were involved with the local HIV+ community and I learned a ton. I also loved my upper level advanced oil painting course, and Ethics in Healthcare.

Electromagnetic radiation, quantum, and nuclear physics<3 I loved organic chem too, but not as much as those physics classes.
I can't wait to take my upper division radiation biology course though!

Degree of myelination in the dorsal vs ventrail hypothalamic tracts can accurately predict degree of religious fundamentalism behaviors. So. Freaking. Cool.

Sounds awesome. Can you point me towards anything I can read on this, please?

Not counting marching band and pep band, for which we get one credit each, my favorite was a course on popular music of the 20th century. We covered everything from Tin Pan Alley and old country music to the Beach Boys, Beatles, and protest music of the 60s and 70s. The class was essentially listening to music and learning about the artists, and the exams had a large listening portion, so you essentially got to listen to some pretty good music while taking a very easy exam.

My favorite science course was Biology of Nervous System Diseases. It was extremely difficult, but really really interesting.

Fav. Non-science: Public Speaking!

Fav. Science: Biochemistry!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Astrobiology and astronomy. Biochemistry was also pretty interesting.

My favorite class was kickboxing and then after that was biochem.

Culture and mental illness. Organic Chem became fun once I finally got the hang of it. Abs and glutes was painful, but so worth it.