What was your MCAT strategy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been debating between dental and podiatry for a while now. I recently took the DAT, studied for 12 weeks, got an average score for acceptance. However, podiatry is always there in the back of my mind. I think and I would definitely like the day in day out work of a podiatrist much better than a dentist.

Anyway, I am now wanting to go ahead and take the MCAT in June. Planning on giving myself 10 weeks or so. Coming off fresh from the DAT and having a good foundation of bio, GC, OC what approach should I take? I would think I will need less content review. I will however need to do physics content review as I have not taken the course in 2 years and hated it. My plan is to take 2-3 weeks to do physics content review with Chad's videos. From there start going over exam krackers. After I get done with exam krackers the plan would be to do however many passages and FL exams I can get my hands on. Does this seem like sufficient preparation?

It's no secret pod schools require lower scores than med schools. I would be happy with a 496-500. I will not take the test lightly but I know I do not need a 90th percentile. What kind of study plan or resources did you guys use for MCAT prep for pod school?

My GPA is: 3.6 overall, 3.7 science

Thanks a ton for any input or advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, physics isn't high yield at all. I think you should spend 1 week on it tops since you're already limited for time. The MCAT is all about practice. Take as many practice tests as you can. The more practice tests you can get your hands on the better you'll do

Reactions: 1 user
So I've been debating between dental and podiatry for a while now. I recently took the DAT, studied for 12 weeks, got an average score for acceptance. However, podiatry is always there in the back of my mind. I think and I would definitely like the day in day out work of a podiatrist much better than a dentist.

Anyway, I am now wanting to go ahead and take the MCAT in June. Planning on giving myself 10 weeks or so. Coming off fresh from the DAT and having a good foundation of bio, GC, OC what approach should I take? I would think I will need less content review. I will however need to do physics content review as I have not taken the course in 2 years and hated it. My plan is to take 2-3 weeks to do physics content review with Chad's videos. From there start going over exam krackers. After I get done with exam krackers the plan would be to do however many passages and FL exams I can get my hands on. Does this seem like sufficient preparation?

It's no secret pod schools require lower scores than med schools. I would be happy with a 496-500. I will not take the test lightly but I know I do not need a 90th percentile. What kind of study plan or resources did you guys use for MCAT prep for pod school?

My GPA is: 3.6 overall, 3.7 science

Thanks a ton for any input or advice!!
That's pretty much exactly what I did. Also, I would supplement with some Kaplan if you can for some topics you may be having trouble with. I thought it was a little more in depth than EK. And take in anything that you can get your hands on for psych./soc. I found that to be the most difficult section due to the sheer immense amount of information that is tested on which is basically just remembering definitions and who said what. If you are relatively comfortable from content review, the best thing I believe you can do is practice, practice, practice. Then just go over your practice exams and looking back over material you have had trouble with. One of the biggest changes from the DAT to the MCAT is how you are asked the questions. It requires a bit more complex thinking than the DAT does and requires you to filter out extraneous information from the passage. But it's not so bad. I scoured the MCAT reddit page to help guide my studying. Used EK, Kaplan, Khan Academy, and AAMC practice questions & FL test.

Last edited:
Okay so plan is spend one week in physics. Then from there I'm going to EK. Finish that in 3-4 weeks. Last month purely practice passages and FL exams.

Thanks for the replies guys!