This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovegrapesoda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do nothing until 2 days before exams. Study for a total of 16 hours for each exam. If I had more than one exam, I'd just make sure I had 16 hours for each one.

Concentration: find a consistent and quiet study spot and listen to Study Music Project.

I'm pre-med and just curious to know what your study schedule/habits were like in college. How did you minimize distractions/concentrate better? I'm doing better this semester, but there's definitely room for improvement in how I study.

I usually waited until the day before the exam to study. I needed a certain level of anxiety before I could get stuff done.

There are plenty of things in medical school that can induce that feeling, but I generally start my heavy studying a week before an exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last semester I started to employ some new study habits as I had a pretty hectic schedule. Typically I liked to get any reading material done prior to the lecture. I would read and outline any reading and review that outline before the class.

I do this for each class that requires it and study about an hour or less for each class per day on days I didn't have lecture/swim/club all day.

Come a week and a half before exam I would study 2-3hrs a day for whichever subject I had an exam for.

This works really well for me, I also study for 1 hour on 15 minutes break intervals. See what works for you!

I'm pre-med and just curious to know what your study schedule/habits were like in college. How did you minimize distractions/concentrate better? I'm doing better this semester, but there's definitely room for improvement in how I study.
Every day I would focus on getting the busywork done. Then I wouldn't have class on Fridays so I start studying for an upcoming exam initially on Friday and continue this Saturday/Sunday. By the start of the new week I would generally feel confident-er and wrap it up by exam time.

3 weeks of fun and not doing anything academic, followed by 24-36 hours of nonstop focus

I'm glad I'm not the only one with horrible study habits on here.

Reactions: 7 users
Professor: Class, the test is in 2 weeks from now. Me: Well, its gym and GTA 5 for the next week and half.

On the cool, though, it depends on the subject. If it is a math class, I study little by little and make sure I do my exam review 2-3 days before the test is due (we go take it a computer lab). Anything else, I try to read in advance the chapter(s) we are going to go over in class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Not to scare you pre-meds, but taking weeks off and then cramming 2 days before the test just doesn't fly in medical school. Believe me, I did it in undergrad too and that has been the biggest adjustment for me. But enjoy it while you can!

Party, sleep, video games, ... Oh! An exam tomorrow? Study all night!

....yeah this is going to have to change for med school.

Except for the MCAT, I did not study in college

Wow, how can u guys do it? Having research plus regular classes is really time consuming, at least at my school and case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Party, sleep, video games, ... Oh! An exam tomorrow? Study all night!

....yeah this is going to have to change for med school.

Eh really the only difference so far is change it to "Oh! An exam in two days?" With the major exception being Anatomy, which was just "omg wat how do i not die" for 2 months

Lol... thanks for the responses. Anyone else have some serious input?

I'm going to make a small list of suggestions that you may be interested in trying (YMMV, of course):

1) find a quiet area to study. This can either be a place in your home or somewhere else (like the library/Starbucks/whatever).

2) limit distractions. Finding a quiet place to study will help with this tremendously. If you find that you can't stop browsing Facebook/reddit on your phone/laptop, turn it off and put it away (unless, of course, you need your laptop for whatever reviewing you're doing). If you're studying in a place where you constantly have friends bugging you, go elsewhere.

3) figure out how much exposure to the material you need. A lot of people suggest reviewing a lecture the same day you had the lecture, as this is an efficient way to keep up with the material. Some people don't even need to look at their lecture notes until 1-2 days before an exam (depending on the course rigor, of course). Figure out what works for you.

4) figure out what works best for reviewing your notes. Do you like to re-write your notes? Have you had success using flash cards? Have you tried any spaced-repetition flash card software (like Anki)? Do you need to read the textbook and make your own outline? etc. (if you're interested in something like Anki, search these forums - I'm pretty sure there's a decent thread floating around).

5) just do it. It's very easy to put off studying when it's daunting. For me, physics is pretty much the bane of my existence (I hate math), and it's kind of depressing when you realize you need to spend the next 5 hours doing physics problems. But you have to just do it, because it's even worse to get a bad grade when you know you could have done something to prevent it.

With all that said, don't be afraid to experiment. Be cautious, however. If what you're doing now is working, I'd make sure any changes to your study techniques are gradual (especially if it's in the middle of a semester).

For those of you who have said all you did in college was party, work out, video games, ect., I am curious why you went into medicine. I am sure you could have found another profession that would allow more free time to do those activities.

It seems like you did not go into medicine for the mental stimulation (or else you would have taken more challenging/interesting classes and been more engaged in studies), or for wanting to help others (or your time would have been spent in leading organizations or doing activities to do this). Maybe there are other reasons I can't think of, but I am wondering if you will be happy in medicine if what you truly enjoy is a lot of free time to do things which don't seem related to medicine.

For those of you who have said all you did in college was party, work out, video games, ect., I am curious why you went into medicine. I am sure you could have found another profession that would allow more free time to do those activities.

It seems like you did not go into medicine for the mental stimulation (or else you would have taken more challenging/interesting classes and been more engaged in studies), or for wanting to help others (or your time would have been spent in leading organizations or doing activities to do this). Maybe there are other reasons I can't think of, but I am wondering if you will be happy in medicine if what you truly enjoy is a lot of free time to do things which don't seem related to medicine.

Wow. Judgmental much? Maybe a little envy?

Reactions: 1 users
On the weekdays, I only focus on studying the things that I need to know for the next day. When it comes to studying for upcoming exams, I get most of that work done on my weekends.

At the same time, I still go out every Friday, have time for friends/relationship, pursue my hobbies, commute 3hrs/day and balance a 20-30/week job.

It's not easy, but the thought of being so busy that I don't have the time to enjoy my free time keeps me away from procrastinating during my studies.

Good luck with everything OP!

If it doesn't take me all that long to prepare for an exam, am I supposed to sit and stare at the textbook 2 hours a day just for the sake of it?

Premeds, take note: this is the type of person you need to avoid.

I tried to make sure I kept up with the material every day. I was never a procrastinator, so I never left any assignment or studying to the night before or the day of. I never pulled any all-nighters either. I didn't go crazy with EC's and leadership roles like most people at my school, but I recommend you don't do that because your grades and/or sleep will suffer.

Early riser checking in...

I have been working part-time since I started college, so I don't have the luxury to just drop everything and study hardcore days before the test.

I study 2-3 hours everyday Mon-Fri in the mornings. Go to class. Go to work. Gym at night and quick flashcards review before going to bed. Saturday + Sunday I might up the studying to 3-4 hours which included misc. busy work. Weekends was mostly work, having fun, and relaxing before repeating it all over again.

I usually never studied hardcore the day before the test, just reviewed the material real quick. Much less stressful and I have been pretty successful with this method.

Use outlook calendar to keep my time management on point.

Wow. Judgmental much? Maybe a little envy?
If it doesn't take me all that long to prepare for an exam, am I supposed to sit and stare at the textbook 2 hours a day just for the sake of it?
Premeds, take note: this is the type of person you need to avoid.

I am very sorry if I offended anyone, I now realize the way I said that was quite insensitive. I just wanted to say, I think people should try to find a profession that aligns with what they enjoy doing in their free time, the time when you are able to do what you enjoy most.

Last edited:
I am very sorry if I offended anyone, I now realize the way I said that was quite insensitive. I just wanted to say, I think people should try to find a profession that aligns with what they enjoy doing in their free time, the time when you are able to do what you enjoy most.
Medicine is full of people who do completely non-medical related things in their free time. You don't have to commit 100% of your life to medicine, that's dumb and highly unrealistic.

I still do what I like to do in my free time, albeit I don't have as much time now in 3rd year.

You guys have a luxury that I wish I have.

In an ideal world (no procrastination + distracting friends :oops:), I keep up on things as much as possible and prepare for an exam early in advance. I do pretty well on tests, but I wish I was better at cramming for them.

@futuredoc520 During undergrad, I learned that time-management was key. One thing that helped a lot, is I would try to study material for each of my courses for at least 30 minutes a day. When I knew a test was coming up, I would just grab a couple pieces of paper and jot down all the information I recalled for a specific course. I would then compare it to the lecture notes and supplemental reading to see where my comprehension was lacking. I would then focus the remainder of my time on strengthening those concepts.

To minimize distractions: I would have to literally leave my home, and find a place like Panera to study at.

The reason we partied, worked out, and barely studied during most of college was because we didnt have to to achieve our goals.

According to what youre posting, unless your No. 1 hobby is legally practicing medicine in the whatever country you live in, then medicine will never align with any hobby. Medicine takes a lot of time whether your preferred hobby is working out or studying organic chemistry.

Also, most physicians like the fields of medicine and surgery, which is why they became physicians. Just because an undergrad student, who is not even in the field of medicine yet, doesnt study as much as possible, doesnt mean medicine is not the best field for him.

Let's say the test is on Monday.

Friday - make a quick study plan (what chapters to read, what notes I need to study, etc) and buy a 6 pack Red Bull.
Saturday and Sunday - study/cram for 15 hours everyday and drink Red Bull when tired.
Monday - quick study session before the test and take it with confidence.

Another great thing you can do is show up to each class 10 minutes early and review the notes you took previously. (Not for the class you came from, the one you are early to.)
Also finding another person who is roughly as committed to academics as you. Having a studying partner helped me tremendously--not only for learning purposes, but also motivational ones.