What will/did you do when you were accepted into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTAPlaya10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally think that I would jump up and down and probably call everyone in my phone, put it all over facebook. Any form of communication in which I can contact people to tell would be utilized to it's fullest extent.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to sleep stress free

Members don't see this ad :)
Jump up and down in disbelief, possibly shed a couple tears, call my parents, grab all my friends and drink a few celebratory beverages! Just thinking about it now gives me butterflies...

I cried like a baby and stared in shock for awhile. Later, I went over to a good friend's house and showed him the letter and then went to dinner with my family. I was too overwhelemed to get any sort of crazy partying going.

I got my first acceptance 10 minutes before an interview at the school I ended up attending :eek: I bet I looked like a madman.

My mom was the one freaking out. I on the other hand took a deep breath and gave her a hug. You couldn't really tell but man was I relieved. Then I went back to whatever I was doing.

oh there was the calling of people and the initial excitement. But for the most part, your day just goes on

Finally, FINALLY, FINALLY have justification for wearing my white coat and stethascope everywhere.

Well, let's see. When I got into college, I cried. When I got my MCAT score (somewhat higher than I expected it to be, but mostly I think it was relief at never having to take the sucker again) I cried. I did a crazy little dance in front of a patient after checking my email and realizing I'd gotten the UCSF secondary.

I can only imagine what I'd do for med school. Probably some crying, obsessive-compulsive calling, changing of facebook status, then probably a lot of online research on the school (allowing myself to get excited about it, looking up clubs I'd want to be part of...etc). And finally I'd put on a white coat and stare at myself in the mirror whispering "doctor..."

Maybe I'm lying about the last one, or maybe not.

It won't sink in. I know it won't sink in. Sure I'll do a happy dance, have a stupid grin on my face, and be like "mommy I'm gonna be a doctor. A school actually thinks I have potential". Then I'll do the whole searching for an apartment thing and casually letting it slip to the realtors "yea yea I need a 1 bedroom apartment. Not too expensive. I can't survive on my med school loans...what? Congrats? Oh thank you...why yes, yes I am excited". Then it'll probably hit me like 2nd day of class and I'll call my mom, again, and go "Mom...I'm in med school". Then I'll call my snooty aunts on my dads' side and be like "BooYAH I'm gonna be a doctor. How ya like me nowwwwwwww".

Okay I won't do the last part. Only because I don't have their numbers

Members don't see this ad :)
scream and cry.

then make a drink.

jump up and down, chill, and throw a themed party (the next day/weekend) with my bros "Dirty Doctor & Naughty Nurses" :)

...then call the family. then they'll throw me a celebratory party. :)

If someone who would care is near me, tell them. Then be inwardly happy and continue my day as usual. Which is pretty much how I handle every good event.

It would involve:
1. Ethanol-derived beverages
2. Strippers

When I get accepted I will cry and then go buy the books I need for first-year :smuggrin:

...and cry again when you figure out how much money you burned by buying books you didn't actually need and not buying used copies from older students. :p

Honestly the FIRST thing I'll do, after the excitement wears off, will be sleep. Think about it, you would be able to finally sleep in / nap / etc without having anything to worry about. How awesome would that be?

And by sleep I don't actually mean like zZzZzZzZz sleep, I mean like lying around watching TV or in bed and just letting your mind melt for once :)

actually, first thing I did was call my parents, who celebrated way more than I did when I saw the letter. Then, later that evening, when I was off work, I met up with some friends and bought 100 some dollars worth of booze for me and my friends. Then again a week later, people from work took me out and we all bought several hundred more dollars of booze. All in all I think that is how you are supposed to do it.