What would i apply for to become a psychopharmacologist?

SShur1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So... I'm trying to apply for some schools after recently deciding i would like to become a psychopharmacologist (or at least that's what i think i want to be) but i'm not entirely sure how to go about even starting along this path. Can someone please help me determine what i would apply to at a college to become a psychopharmacologist? And i am correct in thinking they can help patients and prescribe medications right?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here, i'm so lost in all of this and am quickly running out of time for applications. I really should have made up my mind when i was in high school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

So... I'm trying to apply for some schools after recently deciding i would like to become a psychopharmacologist (or at least that's what i think i want to be) but i'm not entirely sure how to go about even starting along this path. Can someone please help me determine what i would apply to at a college to become a psychopharmacologist? And i am correct in thinking they can help patients and prescribe medications right?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here, i'm so lost in all of this and am quickly running out of time for applications. I really should have made up my mind when i was in high school.
Psychopharm is a field of study within Neuroscience, not a job title. You can be involved in research into mind-effecting drugs as a Neuro PhD or MD/PhD, or you can work in clinical (probably psychiatric) settings as an MD/DO, who would do the actual helping of patients and prescribing of psychoactive drugs.

For college, you can go anywhere, and major in something that leads into PhD or medical schools, like biology or neuroscience (or for MD schools, literally any major works). Conduct lots of research if you're interested in the PhD or MD/PhD side of things.

Reactions: 1 user