What would my chances be of getting into medical school with these credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hypertrophy95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.90 GPA, Average or slightly above average MCAT score, several hundred hours of direct patient care volunteer service, being a NY State EMT, and doing research one summer. Would my chances be good? Please and Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. I think you will get in somewhere. Could be better, could be worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I think you will get in somewhere. Could be better, could be worse.
Thanks. how much better could it get though? I mean I'm not saying it is perfect but like what kind of applicants do these schools get? People who landed on the moon? lol

Thanks. how much better could it get though? I mean I'm not saying it is perfect but like what kind of applicants do these schools get? People who landed on the moon? lol
Depends what you mean by average MCAT. Average for test takers (24) or matriculants (32)?

You're not going to get legit answers bc your have a notably above avg GPA and a solid MCAT score with the standard ECs. The statistics say you'll get in.

Continue research, apply to "safety schools" (with a few reaches and a bunch at your stats), and apply early is all there is to say.

This is a dumb thread.

Have you or have you not eaten a poop hot dog? Meh, with those stats we should prolly be looking at the bratwurst or polish sausage realm.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
3.90 GPA, Average or slightly above average MCAT score, several hundred hours of direct patient care volunteer service, being a NY State EMT, and doing research one summer. Would my chances be good? Please and Thank You
Average mcat - like 20's or 30's? Lol

Why do people always answer with "no chance" and "only people with 3.91 and 33 mcat get in"? Isn't SDN here to help out naive people, even if it may seem like they're "humbly bragging"? It was funny the first 10 times; now it's sound dumb as hell.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do people always answer with "no chance" and "only people with 3.91 and 33 mcat get in"? Isn't SDN here to help out naive people, even if it may seem like they're "humbly bragging"? It was funny the first 10 times; now it's sound dumb as hell.
So are the poop hot dog and janitor comments, but I don't anticipate that changing within the next few years...let alone ever...

Valid point. Why don't you give some useful advice to the OP then? lol the truth is you got none other than "use the search function and common sense"

Reactions: 2 users

Because like half the people on this forum, OP is an overly stressed and neurotic pre-med. He has a near perfect GPA, no MCAT, and a couple EC's so almost no one can offer him practical advice about "how he's doing".

I see no problems with helping someone compile a school list or assist someone who is actually well below the avg and needs serious advice. The OP is just being ridiculous.

If thats what you have then you're definitely in good hands. I think because you worked hard and diligently to get those grades, then the chances for you to get in is almost guaranteed. If you want a challenge, I say apply to harder medical schools. Let us hear how you did when you get in. There are people asking "How to get good grades?" and I bet you'd have a good answer for them. Go out there and apply, and swing by SDN forums and give as much help as you can. Good luck! :)

If you want a challenge, I say apply to harder medical schools.
That's not how this process works. "Harder" schools don't present more of a challenge, just more testing your luck.

OP, apply to a bunch of safety schools using the MSAR and you should be fine

Haha, this pretty much shows you're trying to brag. Someone states that your app could get better and your response is only if someone had landed on the moon.

Hehe. Sorry, I'm not trying to bring you down or anything, your GPA is great, MCAT might be a little low for some schools where applicants with 35+ MCAT scores are a dime a dozen but that doesn't mean your application would get thrown out immediately or anything. If your ECs are average/cookie cutter, and I think that can hurt you at the very top schools. Well not hurt you, I just think that they probably see all these great applicants numbers-wise, so they start to pay more attention to ECs and leadership. Do people with cookie-cutter ECs get into top 10s? Of course.

Honestly you would have a chance at really good schools, but I've seen people with 38s and 4.0s and leadership and research and triathlons get rejected from places like Harvard and Johns Hopkins (they ended up at Northwestern though so it's not that much of a fall).

In short, it's a crapshoot and there will always be people better than you. This is all my speculation on what adcoms look for based on what I've read here and seen/heard secondhand. Like I said earlier, you'll get in somewhere with those numbers.

ECs are standard to subpar at this point. Depending on how high up you're going, you're gonna need more stuff. Leadership, non-medical volunteering, internships, work experience, whatever.

Im bragging? Not at all I'm honestly afraid of not getting in cause there are so many people that do better than this =( lol

Really? Just above you asked :

If you pick a good school list, you should have a fair chance with a good gpa and decent MCAT, although unless you have more EC's, you don't seem all that well-rounded/different from the pack with just patient care work and minimal research experience.

you are a freshman.........................

you are a freshman.........................
Are you kidding? OP you are a freshman pretending that you will have a 3.9 by the time you graduate with a 32 MCAT (not even sure how this fits since the MCAT will be different by the time you apply), and with EC's you haven't even done? Holy crap you are one of the stereotypical annoying as hell premeds already.

I'll put this nicely, you haven't done anything in college, you can't make the slightest guess to what your GPA/MCAT/or even EC's will be like by the time you apply, planning ahead is great, but you have absolutely zero idea if you will be able to achieve anything you listed - spoiler - almost nothing will ever work out how you initially plan it, so playing make believe now does absolutely nothing for you. So stop wasting your time and everyone else's with stupid scenarios and threads on things that you haven't even begun the path to accomplishing, and instead spend your time studying and doing well in school, and getting involved in EC's that you enjoy.

Are you kidding? OP you are a freshman pretending that you will have a 3.9 by the time you graduate with a 32 MCAT (not even sure how this fits since the MCAT will be different by the time you apply), and with EC's you haven't even done? Holy crap you are one of the stereotypical annoying as hell premeds already.

I'll put this nicely, you haven't done anything in college, you can't make the slightest guess to what your GPA/MCAT/or even EC's will be like by the time you apply, planning ahead is great, but you have absolutely zero idea if you will be able to achieve anything you listed - spoiler - almost nothing will ever work out how you initially plan it, so playing make believe now does absolutely nothing for you. So stop wasting your time and everyone else's with stupid scenarios and threads on things that you haven't even begun the path to accomplishing, and instead spend your time studying and doing well in school, and getting involved in EC's that you enjoy.

Yeah look back at his post history, including the very first post (thread he made himself). Pretty hilarious. I though I was neurotic as a pre med but this kid takes the cake

Here yah go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 42
Aim for low-mid tier schools, depending upon where your MCAT falls. You'll need shadowing, and more non-clinical ECs to show us your altruism.