What would provide the best learning experience for a 1st year graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blarelli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm entering my final year of dental school and have to start thinking about where I'm going to end up. I decided pretty early on that I didn't want to work for a corporate office, but after talking to a couple of friends that have had good experiences with Heartland I am giving that a second look.

I guess my ultimate question is where would I get a better learning experience, as an associate with a good compatible doctor to mentor me, or a place like Heartland with their oodles of free CE?

Members don't see this ad.

It really doesn't matter what you do your first year out.

Your first year will be the "densest" learning environment you will experience as a dentist. That will be the year that you learn what was golden from school and what was dross from school. That is the year that you will learn what your true strengths and weaknesses are. Year one will teach you what you DON'T LIKE about dentistry. Your first year you will learn that dentistry is just a job, a great job, but still a job. Year one is the year that you really learn to fly.

I would suggest finding a place were you can make some money, try out new ideas, experiment with management, have some failures and then after that year move on to a long term dental situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Adapted from my blog---

We all have a choice in dental practice:

"We're just like everyone else, only cheaper."
"Save money. Choose us. We're for Everyone, capital E."

Or-

"We're the only one."
"We've created something unique and remarkable. If it's for you, we'd love to hear from you."

And do you know what's important about the ways in which our world has changed?

There is no in-between. Not anymore; maybe there never really was.

Choose. And think of how you'll feel afterwards.

Last edited: